Are you interested in enhancing your practice? OSSE offers the following opportunities to adult educators, facilitators and practitioners who want to improve their practice as adult educators:
The University of the District of Columbia (UDC), in collaboration with OSSE Adult and Family Education, offers a Graduate Certificate in Adult Education Program to prepare adult educators to meet OSSE licensure requirements and the UDC certification requirements.
OSSE AFE offers a scholarship for adult educators, funding permitting. The eligibility criteria for the scholarship is based on education, employment, and residency and can be found in the OSSE Adult Educator Scholarship Program Information.
UDC also offers a Master of Arts Degree in Adult Education that is aligned with the Graduate Certificate in Adult Education Program. To learn more about these two programs, contact Dr. Heather Bruce at [email protected].
- Application closes Friday, June 19, 2020
- OSSE Adult Educator Scholarship Program and Application for the 2020-21 School Year [PDF]
- OSSE Adult Educator Scholarship Program and Application for the 2020-21 School Year [MS Word]
- Snapshot of UDC Adult Ed Program and Requirements
- OSSE Adult Educator Scholarship
- Guidelines for Letters of Recommendation
- Employment Verification Form (Fillable)
- Tips for Navigating TK20
OSSE Adult and Family Education uses a learning needs screening tool to screen adult learners for disabilities. Adult education, integrated education and training, and/or Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) providers and partners may also use these tools to screen adult participants for learning disabilities.
- Learning Needs Screening Tool
- Student Learning Information Questionnaire for English Language Learners
- Supporting Adult Learners with Special Needs PowerPoint
In collaboration with the University of the District of Columbia and other partners, AFE offers professional development workshops on a variety of topics to providers and partners that serve District residents, including the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) Implementation Training.
If you would like to be added to the OSSE Adult and Family Education professional development announcement list, email [email protected]. Please include the following in the body of the email: your contact information (name, email, and phone number) and your agency/organization information (name, address, and website).
Mini-Professional Development Institute: Meeting the Education and Workforce Needs of District Residents at a Distance: Resources, Strategies and Partnerships
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education Adult and Family Education (OSSE AFE), in collaboration with the University of the District of Columbia (UDC), hosted a Mini-Professional Development Institute for adult education providers, training providers, partner agencies and other stakeholders from Aug. 10-12, 2020. This Mini-Professional Development Institute: Meeting the Education and Workforce Needs of District Residents at a Distance: Resources, Strategies and Partnerships was comprised of six one-hour professional development sessions facilitated by experts in their fields to provide information about proven online resources, winning strategies, and partnerships that can be used to meet the needs of District residents at distance.
- Session 1: Adaptive Learning with Essential Education: From Adult Basic Education to GED to Workforce Preparation (Aug. 10, 2020)
- Session 2: Virtual Job Shadow: Exploring Career Options Using High Quality Videos (Aug. 10, 2020)
- Session 3: DHS TANF Employment & Education Program (TEP): Incentivizing 2 Gen Activities Online for Families in the District of Columbia (Aug. 11, 2020)
- Session 4: DC One-Stop Operator: Meeting the Needs of Employers and Job Seekers through American Job Centers (Aug. 11, 2020)
- Session 5: World Education: Essential Distance Learning Resources (Aug. 12, 2020)
- Session 6: Career Coach DC! Tools for Workforce Preparation and Career Planning (Aug. 12, 2020)