WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 is the District of Columbia's annual assessment of English proficiency. Students that qualify for ELL services are assessed in the four domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing through an English language screener proficiency test to determine their level of English proficiency. Students who score from Level 1 to Level 5.0 on the screener test are eligible for services and will participate in the annual language proficiency test, ACCESS for ELLs (Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State to State for English Language Learners), each spring until they score an English Language proficiency level of 5, which indicates the student is proficient in English.
To learn more about WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 and resources available to educators and families, please explore the resources below.
The WIDA assessment is administered online and includes four domains: listening, reading, speaking, and writing. Additional information can be found on WIDA’s ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Summative Assessment page.
Practice Tests and Tutorials
The WIDA ACCESS for ELLS 2.0 website includes sample test items. Below are additional resources to show educators, students, parents/guardians, and the general public the test content and language demands that may be found on the actual ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 test.
- Interactive Sample Items
- User Guide ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Grades 1-12 Online Test Interactive Sample Items
- ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Online
- ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Paper
Accessibility for All Students
OSSE is committed to providing equitable assessment opportunities for students in the District of Columbia. For details about how the WIDA ACCESS for ELLs supports accessibility, please read the Accessibility and Accommodations Supplement on the WIDA website. More information can be found on OSSE’s Testing Accommodations page.
- WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Test Coordinator & Test Administrator Checklist
- WIDA Accessibility and Accommodations Supplement
- ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Accessibility and Accommodations Descriptions
- ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Student ELP Accommodations Selections Checklist
OSSE Guidance Documents
- 2018 ACCESS Statewide Assessment Auditor Observation Checklist
- OSSE Home Language Survey
- OSSE Approved English Language Proficiency Assessments
OSSE requires that new Test Coordinators and Test Administrators complete all trainings related to their role(s) and the test(s) they will administer. OSSE also recommends that Test Coordinators become familiar with the Technology Readiness Checklist and complete all Test Administrator training requirements so that they are prepared to assist others with their roles
- ACCESS for ELLs Training Grades 1-12
- Test Administrator Manual
- District and School Test Coordinator Manual
- WIDA AMS User Guide
- WIDA AMS User Guide Supplement: Data Validation
- Technology User Guide
Resources for Parents
- Parent Guide to Individual Student Report, Grades K-12
- Parent Handouts for ACCESS for ELLs 2.0
- Parents Handouts for Alternate ACCESS for ELL