On April 6, 2021, the US Department of Education officially granted the District of Columbia a one-year waiver from the following statutory requirements under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA):
- Statewide assessment requirements in Section 1111(b)(2) to administer required statewide assessments in English language arts/literacy, mathematics, science, and alternate assessments for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities;
- Statewide assessment participation requirements in Section 1111(c)(4)(E); and
- Reporting of student results on general and alternate assessments in reading/language arts, mathematics, and science of sections 1111(h)(1)(C)(ii), (vii), and ((xi). Along with the related requirements in section 1111(h)(2)(C) for school report cards.
OSSE will continue administration of its ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 and Alternate ACCESS English language proficiency assessments in spring 2021.
The full waiver request and the US Department of Education’s Approval letter are available here.
We value the use of comparable student performance data and recognize how important it is, particularly now. Our statewide assessment systems provide us critical information on academic performance across the city and we will be on track to resume administration in spring 2022. We are committed to working with our stakeholders to be able to provide information that is meaningful and useful in improving programs and supports for all students and schools.
Test Security and Incident Forms
OSSE provides Test Security Guidelines and resources to ensure that schools and LEAs deliver uniform and equitable testing programs. For assessments to yield fair and accurate results, the assessments are to be administered in consistent and standardized conditions. The best way for us to support schools and LEAs in administering quality assessments is to ensure educators understand and recognize acceptable and unacceptable assessment practices.
To read more about the importance of test security, please refer to the June 2011 letter from the US Department of Education addressed to the Chief State School Officers.
Test Security Guidelines and Forms for 2020-21 Assessment Administration
- 2021 In-Person Test Security Guidelines for ACCESS & MSAA
- 2021 Remote and In-Person Test Security Guidelines for PARCC
- 2021 Test Integrity and Test Security Notification Statement
- 2021 Test Integrity Affidavit
- 2021 Test Security Training Attendance Template
- 2021 District of Columbia Assessment Chain of Custody Form
- 2021 Test Security File Document Checklist
- 2020-21 School Year Statewide Assessments Participation and Performance Policy
Incident Reporting for 2020-21 Assessment Administration
School Test Plans for 2020-21
- School Test Security Plan QuickBase Walkthrough - LEA Test Coordinator
- School Test Security Plan QuickBase Walkthrough - Nonpublic Coordinator
- 2021 School Test Security Plan Instructions
- 2021 School Test Security Plan Exemplar
- 2021 School Test Security Plan Exemplar - Remote PARCC Supplement
- 2021 Test Security Authorized Personnel (Template)
- 2021 Test Security Testing Schedule (Template)
- 2021 Plan to Improve School Policies and Procedures
- 2021 Test Security Fact Finding Inquiry
Test Security Training for 2020-21 Assessment Administration
New for 2021: In lieu of the annual in-person Test Security Training, OSSE will release seven pre-recorded Test Security Modules to serve as the official Test Security Training for LEA and Nonpublic Coordinators. These training modules will cover test security information for both in-person and remote administration. The complete viewing of the modules is required for all LEA Assessment Coordinators, including those responsible for ACCESS and Alternate ACCESS, MSAA, and PARCC. Upon completion of the modules, LEA coordinators are required to complete a quiz and certification form, verifying that they have viewed all content. A score of 80 pecent or higher on the quiz will serve as the official attendance and completion of 2021 Test Security Training.
OSSE advises that users use the video and PowerPoint presentations together, as any links or folders mentioned in the video can be accessed using the hyperlinks in the PowerPoint presentation.
- Module 0: Assessment Training Module Overview
- Module 1: Test Integrity & Assessment Overview
- Module 2: Preparing for Administration, Part 1
- Module 3: Preparing for Administration, Part 2
- Module 4: Test Administration - Setup and Monitoring
- Module 5: Test Administration - Prohibited Actions & Incident Reporting
- Module 6: Administration Closeout & Reporting
Request Forms for 2020-21 Assessment Administration
- 2021 Medical Exemption Form
- 2021 Unique Accommodation Request Form
- 2021 Emergency Accommodation Request Form
Ensuring the Integrity of DC Statewide Testing
- LEA Investigations of Test Integrity Violations
- DC Statewide Test Integrity Investigations
- July 2019 Advanced Noticed of Proposed Rulemaking - Testing Integrity and Security