The Healthy Schools Act Initiatives section of OSSE’s Wellness and Nutrition Services Division was established as a component of the implementation plan for the Healthy School Act (HSA). The Healthy Schools Act Initiatives team monitors school menus and compliance with other aspects of the HSA, and also provides technical support and training to schools in the areas of school menus, farm to school, school gardens, environmental literacy, local wellness policies, healthy vending, fundraising and prizes, physical activity, physical education, and health education. The Healthy Schools Act Initiatives team is responsible for data collection around the HSA and the evaluation of changes in programmatic, behavioral, and health outcomes occurring as a result of HSA implementation.
There are five programs within OSSE’s Healthy Schools Act Initiatives Section:
- School Nutrition and Wellness Program (NWP)
- Farm to School Program (FSP)
- School Gardens Program (SGP)
- Environmental Literacy Program (ELP)
- Health and Physical Education, and Physical Activity Program (HPE)
- Healthy Schools Act Assessment and Evaluation Program (AEP)