OSSE’s Farm to School Program assists schools in procuring and serving local foods by incorporating farm-to-school concepts into the school environment through teacher training, technical assistance, and District-wide events such as Growing Healthy Schools Month and Strawberries and Salad Greens Day.
The purpose of DC Farm to School is to incorporate food education into schools and child development facilities through field trips, gardening, taste tests and other hands-on activities and increase the amount of local food being served in DC schools and early childhood development facilities so that every child in DC participates in farm to school programming.
Farm to School Tools
Get Involved/Special Events
- Celebrate annual events like Growing Healthy Schools Month and Strawberries & Salad Greens Day.
- Join the Sprout it Out Google Group to ask a question or learn from others in the school garden and farm-to-school community.
- Register to receive Sprout it Out, OSSE’s monthly school garden and farm to school newsletter.
- Post the Choose What’s in Season poster in your cafeteria or classroom.
- Learn more about how DC schools track local and unprocessed foods served in school meals.
- Get more information about OSSE programs and initiatives that support farm to school: