The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) collects discipline data using the OSSE Discipline Data Collection Template at the end of each school year. Pursuant to DC Official Code § 38-236.09(c)(1), each Local Education Agency (LEA) or entity operating a publicly funded Community-based Organization (CBO) shall provide statutorily mandated discipline data, as set forth in DC Official Code § 38-236.09(b), in the form and manner prescribed by the OSSE. The data collection is due on Aug. 15, 2021 and requires LEAs and pre-K CBOs to provide comprehensive data on all disciplinary incidents and actions that occurred during the prior school year.
The data elements included in this collection fulfill the following key local and federal reporting requirements:
- Reporting pursuant to Section 209 of the Students Fair Access to School Act Amendment of 2018, effective Aug. 25, 2018 (DC Law 22-157; DC Official Code § 38-236.09) (the Fair Access Act)
- Reporting pursuant to Section 202 of the Pre-K Student Discipline Amendment Act of 2015, effective June 23, 2015 (DC Law 21-12; DC Official Code § 38-236.09)
- DC School Report Card
- EDFacts Federal Reports
- Annual Performance Report pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities with Education Act
OSSE and LEAs each have distinct responsibilities to meet the above reporting requirements accurately and on time.
2020-21 School Year
2019-20 School Year
- 2019-20 Discipline Data Collection Certification
- 2019-20 School Year LEA Discipline Data Collection Guidance
- 2019-20 Discipline Template
2018-19 School Year
Related Content: Resources for LEA Data Managers