Overview of OSSE HIT Initiative
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is leading a three-year, $35 million investment in scaling and supporting high-impact tutoring (HIT) across the District, with a particular focus on at-risk students and other students who experienced disrupted instruction during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This investment is a core part of the city’s recovery strategy, given the strong body of evidence demonstrating the effectiveness of HIT as an intervention that can produce dramatic gains in student learning. Through this investment, OSSE strives to accelerate learning for these students.
Grant competitions are central to furthering this initiative, Approximately $30 million has been awarded since 2021 to support existing, successful, evidence-based tutoring programs to scale; to deliver strategic program supports to local education agencies and tutoring providers; and to conduct a robust program evaluation of the HIT initiative.
HIT Grant Awardees
Blueprint Schools Network
George Washington University (GWU) Math Matters
The Literacy Lab
Maryland Teacher Tutors
National Student Support Accelerator
American University (AU) Future Teacher Tutors
Multicultural Career Intern Program
Students Motivated through the Arts (SMARTS) - powered by Dance Makers
The House, Inc.
See the below list of documents and links for more information about the previous grant opportunities.
General HIT Resources:
- OSSE HIT Grant School Data
- High-Impact Tutoring: Accelerating Student Learning by Expanding Opportunity: Are you interested in learning about best practices for effective HIT programs? In partnership with CityTutor DC, OSSE has released updated HIT guidance based on the latest research.
- High-Impact Tutoring Toolkit: Check out our toolkit, developed in partnership with CityTutor DC, that includes practical resources and helpful guidance for school leaders interested in providing HIT for their students.
- National Student Support Accelerator: Hub for research and guidance on implementing high-impact tutoring programs.
HIT Scaling Grant - Awarded January 2023
- Press Release for Jan. 2023 HIT Grant award announcements
- HIT Scaling Grant Request for Applications (RFA) October 2022 – RFA for the second round of HIT grant funding, awarded in Jan. 2023.
HIT Grant - Awarded May 2022
- Press Release for May 2022 HIT grant award announcements
- HIT Request for Applications (RFA) March 2022 – RFA for the first round of OSSE HIT grant funding, awarded in May 2022.
If you would like to receive email notifications about the release of future OSSE HIT grant opportunities, please complete this grant interest form.
For more information about OSSE’s High-Impact Tutoring initiative please email [email protected].