Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Office of the State Superintendent of Education

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Expanded Home Caregiver

New Educational Requirements

Expanded Home Caregivers are required to have an associate’s degree in early childhood education (or early childhood development, child and family studies or a closely related field) or an associate’s degree in any subject area with at least 24 semester credit hours in early childhood by December 2023. An Expanded Home Caregiver with a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education meets the minimum education requirements.

See the bottom of this page for a planning guide template to help plan your pathway. More information on the regulations that outline the new educational requirement for expanded home caregivers can be found here.


The following is a list of programs and resources available in the DC metropolitan area. This list is neither exhaustive nor an indication of endorsement by OSSE.


Information on AA in EC

Program Point of Contact

University of District of Columbia-Community College Associate's Degree in Early Childhood Education Cecelia Alvarado
Program Coordinator
[email protected]
Phone: (202) 274-6763
Trinity University Associate's Degree in Early Childhood Education Dr. Bweikia Steen
Associate Professor of Education and Director, Early Childhood Education [email protected]
Howard Community College Early Childhood Development - A.A.S. Degree [email protected]
Phone: (443) 518-1620
Montgomery College Associate of Arts in Teaching (A.A.T.) in Early Childhood Education Sonia Pruneda-Hernandez
[email protected]
Phone: (240) 467-4168
Prince George’s Community College Early Childhood Education A.A.S. Professor Aretha Williams, Chair
Department of Teacher Education
[email protected]
NOVA Community College—Alexandria Campus Associate in Applied Science Degree in Early Childhood Development Christine Pegorraro Schull, Ph.D.
Professor & Assistant Dean
(703) 845-6224
[email protected]

Resources Available



Program Point of Contact

Higher Education Incentive Fund Students that have applied to the University of DC or Trinity University can receive a full scholarship towards their degree by contacting the university directly.

UDC: Beverly Bennett-Roberts
[email protected]
(202) 274-6970

Trinity: Dr. Marie Celeste
[email protected]
(202) 884-9285

DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG) DCTAG provides up to $2,500 per academic year toward tuition at private colleges in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area. Website:
Phone Number: (202) 727-2824
DC Mayor’s Scholars Undergraduate Program Mayor’s Scholars provides need-based funding for eligible DC residents earning their first associate’s or bachelor’s degree. Janae Eason
[email protected]
(202) 481-3481

Planning Guide

The following resource guide can help you create a plan for meeting the new educational requirements for child development staff.