Federal Emergency Grant Timelines
The US Department of Education has awarded the Office of the State Superintendent of Education three federal grants for elementary and secondary schools to receive emergency funds. These funds may be used to support local education agency (LEA) efforts now, to plan for fall 2021, and to continue the work of recovery over the next few school years.
The three federal programs above provide allocations to Title I-A eligible LEAs. Allocations and other resources for all programs to support LEA planning are available below.*Includes 12-month Tydings Period.
OSSE has provided equivalent allocations for LEAs not eligible for funding from ESSER I-CARES and ESSER II-CRRSA. LEAs not eligible for subgrants under ESSER I-CARES received equivalent funding through SOAR. For ESSER II-CRRSA, equivalent funding is being provided through SOAR for adult and early childhood LEAs; non-Title K-12 LEAs will have a separate ESSER II-CRRSA Equivalent application that will follow the timelines above for ESSER II-CRRSA.
Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Fund
- American Rescue Plan Act – District of Columbia State Plan (approved by USED on July 7, 2021). OSSE welcomes feedback on the plan, which you can send to [email protected].
- LEA Allocations
- Allowable uses
- ESSER II-CRRSA Budget Codes
- ESSER III-ARP Budget Codes
- ESSER II-CRRSA Funding Strategy Guide (5/13/2021)
- LEA communication
- ESSER-III ARP Application & Evidence-Based Intervention Webinar
- ESSER Construction Webinar
- ESSER III-Facilities Concept Proposal Form
- ESSER III-ARP FY21 Assurances
- ESSER II-CRRSA FY21 Assurances
- ESSER III-ARP Application Evidence Based Interventions Form
- ESSER II-CRRSA Announcement and Fact Sheet
- ESSER I-CARES LEA Annual Reporting
- ESSER I-CARES Application Overview Webinar
- ESSER II-CRRSA Application Overview Webinar
- CARES and Recovery Funding Update (8/10/2020) | CARES and Recovery Funding (6/16/2020) | COVID-19 Federal Grant Flexibilities (4/27/2020)
- State Reserve: Per federal requirements, 10 percent of DC’s ESSER awards are for SEA reservation, a maximum of 0.5 percent of this total may be used for administrative costs. ARP ESSER includes specific the SEA reservation.
More information on the ESSER program can be found on the US Department of Education’s ESSER webpage.
Governor’s Emergency Education Relief (GEER) Fund
- GEER I: DC’s $5,807,678 GEER I award will support technology/digital divide, mental health, and school safety in DC schools.
- GEER II: DC’s $2,415,567 GEER II award will support early childhood.
More information on the GEER program can be found on the US Department of Education’s GEER webpage.
Emergency Assistance to Non-Public Schools (EANS) Program
DC’s $5,312,618 EANS award will provide support and assistance to eligible non-public schools to safely reopen schools, measure and effectively address learning loss, and take other actions to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on the students and families who depend on our K-12 schools. More information is available on OSSE’s EANs webpage and on the US Department of Education’s EANS webpage. DC expects to receive a second ARP EANs award.
Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG) Supplemental Funding
DC’s $6,000,400 CARES-CCDBG award has been used to support six emergency child care sites and support subsidized child care providers with continued payments during the public health emergency.
- CARES Act Fiscal Waiver Request Form
- Public Notice of Waiver Request to US Department of Education - July 2021
For more information or questions, please contact [email protected]