Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Office of the State Superintendent of Education

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Foreign Prepared Educators

I completed...

  • My degree and/or educator preparation at a college or university outside of the United States or US territory

Applicants who have completed degrees and studies at colleges or universities outside of the US or US territory, must have those studies evaluated to determine if their preparation is equivalent to a US baccalaureate degree or higher.

OSSE accepts foreign credential equivalency reports provided by the following entities:

  1. Organizations that have current membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE),
  2. Accredited four-year colleges/universities, and
  3. Evaluation organizations that are approved by other state educator licensing/credentialing agencies for state certification purposes.

The report must include:

  1. A US equivalency degree summary statement.
  2. A course by course listing of all completed coursework that includes the grade earned and number of credit hours completed for each course.

Note: Please do not send diplomas, foreign transcripts, or any documents not printed in English.

Applicants must submit:

  • An Identity History Summary Check (IHSC) issued by the FBI or an approved FBI channeler agency. Any applicant employed by DC Public Schools (DCPS) should ensure that DCPS’ central office staff has made the applicant’s clearance information available to OSSE electronically.
  • All pages of the foreign credential evaluation report issued by an approved evaluation agency for degrees and related coursework completed at institutions outside of the US required for the credential being sought.
  • Official education transcripts and Program Completion Verification Form, if an approved program or additional preparation required for the credential being sought was completed at a US-based institution (if applicable).
  • Passing test scores for the applicable basic skills, subject content and pedagogy exam(s) required for the credential being sought or comparable exam(s) passed in another state where an active full educator credential is held.
  • A copy of your active full educator credential(s) held in another state (if applicable).

Apply Now - Educator Credentialing and Certification