Office of the State Superintendent of Education

DC Agency Top Menu

The District government is closed for Inauguration Day. Visit inauguration.dc.gov for information on city services, street closures and parking restrictions.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Residency Verification

To be enrolled in any DC public school, a parent/primary caregiver must show original documents as proof of DC residency for each student assigned to or wishing to attend a traditional public or public charter school in the District. A completed DC Residency Verification Form must be completed to determine residency.

One of the following items is accepted to establish DC residency:

  • A pay stub;
  • Supplemental Security Income annual benefits notification;
  • A copy of Form D40 certified by the DC Office of Tax and  Revenue;
  • Military Housing Order;
  • An embassy letter;
  • Proof that a child is a ward of the District of Columbia, in the form of a Court Order; and
  • Proof of financial assistance from the DC Government, in the form of either a:
    • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) verification of income notice or recertification approval letter;
    • Medicaid approval letter or recertification letter;
    • Housing assistance letter from a housing shelter, including contact name and phone number or a letter from the Housing Authority; or
    • Proof of receipt of financial assistance from another DC Government program.

If none of the above items are available to verify residency, two of the following items  are required:

  • Unexpired DC motor vehicle registration;
  • Unexpired lease or rental agreement;
  • Unexpired DC motor vehicle operator's permit or other official non-driver identification; and
  • One utility bill (only gas, electric and water bills acceptable).

In determining residency, OSSE may require additional documentation.  A list of documents families may be asked to supply to verify residency status beyond those outlined above include:

See the full Residency Verification Webinar for procedures and required documentation.

Related Services: 
Contact TTY: