Have a question about transportation for students with disabilities? Call the Parent Resource Center at (202) 576-5000. Operating hours for the Parent Resource Center are Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The Parent Resource Center communicates with parents and guardians of students with disabilities receiving transportation services to travel to and from public schools in the District of Columbia or nonpublic placements. The main role of the Parent Resource Center is as the primary communication link between families, schools, and other employees within OSSE’s Division of Student Transportation. The Customer Service Specialists in the Parent Resource Center are dedicated to providing quality customer service by promptly and adequately addressing student transportation matters.
Eligibility for transportation services is determined by the student’s individual education program (IEP) which is developed by the school in which the student is enrolled. Once the Division of Student Transportation receives a request from a child’s school for transportation services, the Parent Resource Center can provide support to that family.
Parents can reach out to the Parent Resource Center during operating hours by phone with the following types of questions:
- Bus status for the current day
- Questions regarding your student’s transportation services
- Issues or concerns regarding the transportation service provided
- To provide a compliment or file a complaint about transportation
Representatives of the Parent Resource Center will also contact parents directly in the following cases:
- Bus delays of more than 20 minutes, either traveling to school or returning home
- Inclement weather or other emergencies causing route changes, shut down or delayed opening of school
For questions about accessing student transportation services, changing your contact information on file with the Division of Student Transportation, or eligibility for your child, please contact your child’s school directly.
Travel Reimbursement for Parents
In addition to providing bus service to eligible students, OSSE will reimburse parents who transport eligible students with disabilities to and from school. Your family may qualify for reimbursement if:
- The parent or guardian has requested reimbursement and completed required forms in advance of transporting the student; or
- If a parent or guardian transported a student due to failure on the part of OSSE to provide services.
If you meet the above qualifications and want apply for parent reimbursement, please complete the certification form below and a W-9 return to [email protected].
Parent Reimbursement Forms
Have additional questions?