FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OSSE Contact: OSSE Communications - 202-727-6436
September 7, 2012
D.C. State Athletic Association Announces Advisory Board, Appeals Panel
Appointed Committees to Govern Interscholastic Athletics Regulations, Rule on Student Eligibility
WASHINGTON, DC – District Public, Public Charter, Independent and Parochial School sports competitions will be governed under unified regulations and oversight by an appointed Advisory Board of Interscholastic Athletics and separate, independent Athletic Appeals Board beginning this fall, an announcement made today by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) and the District of Columbia State Athletic Association (DCSAA).
“Athletics are a great way to engage students and schools in the spirit of shared rules and fair competition,” said State Superintendent Hosanna Mahaley, noting that the DCSAA Athletic Appeals Board met for the first time this week to make its initial ruling earlier in the day. “I look forward to our advisory and appeals boards’ insight and recommendations as to how we can forge athletics ahead in the District of Columbia."
Appointed by the OSSE Statewide Athletics Office, members of the DCSAA Advisory Board of Interscholastic Athletics and Athletic Appeals Board represent a broad range of backgrounds and expertise in education, athletics, community outreach, regulatory and legal affairs, and public safety. Advisory Board members are appointed for two-year terms, while Athletic Appeals Board membership will be assessed annually.
DCSAA Advisory Board of Interscholastic Athletics
- Clark Ray, Executive Director, District of Columbia State Athletic Association (Non-Voting Member)
- Stephanie Evans, Athletic Director, District of Columbia Public Schools
- Mustafa Nusraty, District of Columbia Public Charter School Board
- Joe Reyda, Director of Athletics, Gonzaga College High School (Independent School Representative)
- Patricia Billingslea, Certified Athletic Trainer, District of Columbia Public Schools
- Neal Downing, District of Columbia Coaches Association
- Al Foreman, Eastern Board of Officials
- Marie Rudolph, Public Member
- Rosalyn Overstreet-Gonzalez, Public Member
- Gerard Hall, Public Member
DCSAA Athletics Appeals Board
- Emily Durso, Office of the State Superintendent of Education (Agency Designee)
- Jack Koczela, Public Member
- Greg Rhett, Public Member
- Marie Rudolph (Alternate)
- Rosalyn Overstreet-Gonzalez (Alternate)
"I'm inspired by what I know will come out of conversations with such a wide-ranging and esteemed group of thought leaders," added OSSE Director of Statewide Athletics Clark Ray, describing the launch of DCSAA as a culmination of several months of discussions between city officials, individual school administrators and athletic directors. "It is important for us to hear from different voices in education and different sectors of our community, so our hope is that our boards will enable all of us to further the DCSAA mission and serve our student-athletes better."
Established in May 2012 and consisting of member schools from the District of Columbia Public Schools, District Public Charter Schools and area Independent/Non-Public Schools, DCSAA will award first-ever District of Columbia State Championships in Boys and Girls Cross Country, Boys and Girls Soccer, and Boys Football in Division I and II, beginning Fall 2012.
Editor’s Note: Additional DCSAA information, including Approved-to-Play Member Lists, Division I and Division II State Football Playoff Brackets, Eligibility Criteria, DCSAA Rules and regulations Handbook and DCSAA League Constitution is available for review online at http://osse.dc.gov.