Join OSSE’s Division of Health and Wellness this March in celebrating National Nutrition Month®. Created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign that takes place annually in March to emphasize the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
To celebrate, we will focus on a different topic for each day of the week during National School Breakfast Week, provide suggestions for various activities, games, and lesson plans to do with your students. See below for the daily themes for National School Breakfast Week. Additionally, find below a list of activities, games, and lesson plans by grade that can be conducted throughout the month.
Monday, March 2: It’s National School Breakfast Week
- Learn more about the benefits of a healthy school breakfast. Then check out OSSE’s new Breakfast Resource Guide! OSSE has gathered breakfast resources and developed a guide for navigating these resources to assist schools in making the transition to an alternative breakfast serving model or support schools in making their current alternative breakfast serving model better and more efficient. The Breakfast Resource Guide provides a quick overview of the resources located in OSSE’s resource bank.
Tuesday, March 3: Share your thoughts about school breakfast with OSSE
- Share your thoughts about school breakfast by completing the School Breakfast Program Survey. Your response to this survey will help OSSE better understand characteristics of existing school breakfast programs, beliefs about current breakfast participation, and barriers inhibiting increased breakfast participation. For questions about the School Breakfast Program Survey, please contact Elizabeth Hanna at [email protected].
Wednesday, March 4: Show us your favorite school breakfast
- Hop onto your go-to social media platform to show OSSE how you celebrate #NSBW20 with your favorite #SchoolBreakfast.
Thursday, March 5: Hear the Crunch!
- Join OSSE and DC Hunger Solutions in making some noise by participating in a city-wide apple crunch to celebrate the benefits of school breakfast. Learn more and register for Hear the Crunch! on DC Hunger Solution’s website. For questions or issues with registration, please contact Paige Pokorney at [email protected].
Friday, March 6: Fun(d) Friday - OSSE awards $2 per student supporting alternative breakfast serving models
- On Fun(d) Friday, OSSE will be awarding one school with a check for new funds supporting breakfast. Thanks to the Healthy Students Amendment Act of 2018, DC schools are now eligible for a new annual $2 per pupil subsidy to support alternative school breakfast programs like Breakfast in the Classroom, Grab & Go, and Second Chance Breakfast. Other eligible schools will be notified of their award in the coming weeks.
See below for activities, games, lesson plans, and handouts to incorporate each topic into the school day.
To promote “Hear the DC Crunch!” view here for social media tips.
- ChooseMyPlate.gov - A resource that can help teachers create nutrition education materials based on the Dietary Guidelines.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - A professional organization that provides reliable and evidenced-based nutrition information to the public.
- Team Nutrition - An initiative of the USDA Food and Nutrition Service to support the Child Nutrition Programs.
Frequently Used Resources:
- Team Nutrition. United States Department of Agriculture: Food and Nutrition Service. Retrieved from https://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/team-nutrition.
- Nutrition Activities. New York Road Runners. Retrieved from http://www.nyrr.org/youth-and-schools/running-start/nutrition-activities.
- Create A Classroom That Moves! Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved from https://education.ohio.gov/getattachment/Topics/Other-Resources/Food-and-Nutrition/Resources-and-Tools-for-Food-and-Nutrition/Ohio-Team-Nutrition/ClassroomThatMovesJan2013HR.pdf.aspx.
- Teaching Nutrition through Family and Consumer Sciences: A Curriculum Guide for Middle Schools. Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved from https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/school-nutrition/pdf/tncurr.pdf.
- KidsHealth in the Classroom Resources. Retrieved from https://classroom.kidshealth.org/.
- National School Breakfast Week March 5-9, 2018. School Nutrition Association. Retrieved from https://schoolnutrition.org/Meetings/Events/NSBW/2018/.
- National Nutrition Month Resources. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Retrieved from http://www.eatright.org/resources/national-nutrition-month.