Join OSSE’s Division of Health and Wellness this March in celebrating National Nutrition Month®. Created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign that takes place annually in March to emphasize the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
To celebrate, we will focus on different topics each week, provide suggestions for various activities, games, and lesson plans to do with your students. See below for the weekly topics for the month, and a list of activities, games, and lesson plans by grade.
National Nutrition Month® Contest
To participate in the contest, send us pictures of the activities you perform with your students throughout the month to [email protected] – please title your email “National Nutrition Month Contest Submission” and include the school name, grade, and a brief description of the activity, game, or lesson plan. The contest submission deadline is Friday, March 29, 2019. The elementary, middle, and high school that sends the most pictures throughout the month will receive a certificate and will be named “National Nutrition Month® School of the Year”. Submissions can be submitted from anyone in the school, but please ensure all pictures comply with students’ privacy requests.
Week 1 (March 4-8): Eat Breakfast and Celebrate National School Breakfast Week
Kick off National Nutrition Month® the way you kick start your day - with breakfast! March 4-9 is National School Breakfast Week and we want to celebrate the benefits of breakfast. Celebrate “Hear the DC Crunch” on Wednesday, March 6 to highlight the important role school breakfast has on ensuring all children have access to the healthy food they need. To participate, register. All you have to do is: grab an apple, take a picture while biting into the apple, tag yourself or your organization in the picture and post it on social media using the hashtag #HearTheCrunch. Visit the DC Hunger Solutions website for more information, and resources for National School Breakfast Week!
Week 2 (March 11-15): Master MyPlate
For the second week of National Nutrition Month®, focus on the components of MyPlate and creating balanced meals.
Week 3 (March 18-22): Practice Healthy Habits
Wrap up the celebration of National Nutrition Month® by focusing on teaching students healthy habits. That means choosing healthy snacks, fueling properly for sports, and practicing portion control.
Click on the links below for activities, games, lesson plans, and handouts to incorporate each topic into the school day.
To promote “Hear the DC Crunch!” view here for social media tips.
- ChooseMyPlate.gov - A resource that can help teachers create nutrition education materials based on the Dietary Guidelines.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - A professional organization that provides reliable and evidenced-based nutrition information to the public.
- Team Nutrition - An initiative of the USDA Food and Nutrition Service to support the Child Nutrition Programs.
Frequently Used Resources:
- Team Nutrition. United States Department of Agriculture: Food and Nutrition Service. Retrieved from https://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/team-nutrition.
- Nutrition Activities. New York Road Runners. Retrieved from http://www.nyrr.org/youth-and-schools/running-start/nutrition-activities.
- Create A Classroom That Moves! Ohio Department of Education. Retrieved from https://education.ohio.gov/getattachment/Topics/Other-Resources/Food-and-Nutrition/Resources-and-Tools-for-Food-and-Nutrition/Ohio-Team-Nutrition/ClassroomThatMovesJan2013HR.pdf.aspx.
- Teaching Nutrition through Family and Consumer Sciences: A Curriculum Guide for Middle Schools. Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved from https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/school-nutrition/pdf/tncurr.pdf.
- KidsHealth in the Classroom Resources. Retrieved from https://classroom.kidshealth.org/.
- National School Breakfast Week March 5-9, 2018. School Nutrition Association. Retrieved from https://schoolnutrition.org/Meetings/Events/NSBW/2018/.
- National Nutrition Month Resources. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Retrieved from http://www.eatright.org/resources/national-nutrition-month.