Have a question about transportation for students? Call the Parent Resource Center at (202) 576-5000. Operating hours for the Parent Resource Center are Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The main role of the Parent Resource Center is to serve as the primary communication link between families and schools, about transportation services to and from public schools in the District of Columbia or nonpublic placements. The Customer Service Specialists in the Parent Resource Center provide quality customer service by promptly and adequately addressing and recording student transportation matters for follow up.
Eligibility for transportation services is determined by the student’s individual education program (IEP) which is developed by the school in which the student is enrolled. Once the Division of Student Transportation receives a timely and accurate request from a child’s school for transportation services, the Parent Resource Center can provide support to that family.
Parents can access Daily DOT Updates with the following concerns:
- Bus status for the current day
- Bus delays of more than 20 minutes, either traveling to school or returning home
Parents can reach out to the Parent Resource Center during operating hours by phone with the following types of questions/concerns:
- Questions regarding your student’s transportation services (e.g. route number, pick up and drop off times)
- Issues or concerns regarding the transportation service provided
- To provide a compliment or file a complaint about transportation
Representatives of the Parent Resource Center will contact parents directly in the following cases:
- Variation in student route e.g. route changes
- Inclement weather or other emergencies causing route changes, shut down or delayed opening of school
For questions about eligibility to receive student transportation services, changing your contact or address information on file with the Division of Student Transportation, or adding/changing an authorized receiver and updating emergency contact information, please contact your child’s school directly.
Travel Reimbursement for Parents
In addition to providing transportation service to eligible students, OSSE will reimburse parents who transport eligible students with disabilities to and from school. Your family may qualify for reimbursement if:
- The parent or guardian has requested reimbursement and completed the required forms in advance of transporting the student (parents/guardians must receive approval from OSSE DOT prior to seeking reimbursement for the student by submitting a “Request for Self-Transport Form”); or
- If a parent or guardian transported a student due to failure on the part of OSSE to provide services.
If you meet the above qualifications and want to apply for parent reimbursement, please submit your request by following the instructions detailed in the parent provided transportation reimbursement program guidelines form below.
Parent Reimbursement Forms and Guidelines
- Parent Reimbursement - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Parent Provided Transportation Certification Form
- Parent Reimbursement Program Guidelines English | Amharic | Spanish
- Parent Reimbursement Approval Form
- W-9 | English | Spanish
Have additional questions?