Public education in Washington, DC comprises more than 60 local education agencies (LEAs) overseeing over 200 individual campuses. This includes the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS), with over 100 employees, and more than 100 public charter schools operated by 60+ nonprofits.
Like DCPS, public charter schools are publicly funded and tuition-free. However, enrollment in public charter schools is a separate process. All new students interested in attending a charter school must use the My School DC application. My School DC is the common application and lottery process to apply for placement at schools across the city.
To enroll your child in a charter school you must complete the following steps:
- Apply: Submit an application through the My School DC Common Lottery (more information below)
- Enroll: Once assigned to a school, enroll your child in their assigned school by the appropriate enrollment deadline (see below).
- Note: If the public charter school does not participate in the My School DC Common Lottery, visit the school’s website to learn more about enrolling your child.
- If not assigned to a school or placed on a waiting list, enroll your child in their right-to-attend school within DCPS.
The My School DC application is a single online application families must complete to be considered for placement in public charter schools (pre-K 3–12), DCPS out-of-boundary schools (K–12), all DCPS pre-K 3 and pre-K 4 programs, and DCPS citywide selective high schools (9–12).
- Child’s name and date of birth
- Child’s current school and grade
- Your current place of residence - you must use a District address to apply for the lottery (see below for information on establishing residency in the District).
How does the My School DC application process work? What happens after I submit an application? What happens after I receive my results? How do I confirm a match/placement with a school? How do I enroll in my matched/placement school?
- Please visit My School DC to get answers to frequently asked questions.
- Please also review their section for questions from military families.
- You may also contact the My School DC Hotline at (202) 888-6336.
- Military families not living on a military installation: All students enrolled in public schools in the District (DCPS and public charter schools) must provide proof of residency in the District or pay tuition as an out-of-state student.
- Military families living on a military installation:
- You may use your current official military housing orders to establish proof of residency. They must show your student’s name, the name of the caregiver enrolling the student, and the address.
If you do not yet have your housing orders, please contact the Office of Enrollment and Residency at [email protected] for assistance completing the DC Residency Verification Form.