In 2012, the District of Columbia joined the US Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children which addresses key transition issues encountered by military families including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. Provisions in the Compact provide for a consistent policy across state lines for transitioning military students.
In joining this compact, the DC Council on the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children was established. The Council was formed to assist in easing the transition of the children of military families into school as a result of frequent moves and deployment of their parents. The council is required to hold annual meetings to monitor progress in implementing the compact and identify any areas for growth in improving the transition for students of military families that move to the District.
- The council holds four annual meetings at the Wilson Building, located at 1350 Pennsylvania Ave. NW. All meetings are open to the general public.
- When is the next meeting? Please contact Taneka Miller at (202) 724-6467 to learn the date of the council’s next meeting.
Members of the DC Council on the Interstate Compact of Educational Opportunity for Military Children
- Kimberly Crutchfield | Military Family Education Liaison
- Captain Jose Rodriguez | Joint Base Commander | Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling | USN (non-voting)
- Hanseul Kang | State Superintendent of Education
- Taneka Miller | Director of Legislative and Governmental Affairs | Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education
- Scott Pearson | Executive Director | DC Public Charter School Board
- Michael Gaal | Deputy Chancellor of Innovation and Systems Improvement | DC Public Schools
- Renunda Lee | Parent | Parent Representative