The State Title I Committee of Practitioners serves as an advisory body that supports OSSE in carrying out its responsibilities under Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) for the District of Columbia. ESEA, as reauthorized by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015, requires each state education agency (SEA) to maintain such a committee.
The membership of the State Title I Committee of Practitioners must meet certain federal requirements to ensure that different stakeholders are represented. These include:
- Principals and other school leaders;
- Representatives of authorized public chartering agencies (e.g., PCSB members or staff);
- LEA and school administrators, including administrators of programs in Title I;
- Teachers in District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) and charter schools;
- Career and technical educators;
- Members of public charter school boards of directors;
- Members of the State Board of Education;
- Specialized instructional support personnel (including school social workers, psychologists, nurses, speech language pathologists, counselors, or other special education service providers); and
For more information or questions, please contact [email protected].
Update December 2019: the Title I Committee currently has the following vacancies for the 2019-20 school year:
- Representative of private school children
OSSE seeks members who plan to remain at least through the 2020-21 school year. To apply, send your resume and application form to [email protected]. Qualified applicants will have demonstrated experience completing and/or implementing their LEA-level Title I application plan at the LEA and/or school level. OSSE will provide updates when additional vacancies occur.
Meetings are held quarterly at OSSE, 1050 First St. NE. The next meeting will be held Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020, from 4:30-6 p.m.