MEDIA CONTACT: Ayan Islam (OSSE) 202.316.1841; [email protected]
(Washington, D.C.) – The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) announced today a new $8.9 million competitive federal grant, the Scholarships for Opportunity and Results (SOAR) Act, which provides funds for sub-grant awards over a two year period. The award is geared towards improving school performance and educational outcomes, and to increase the number of high-quality public charter school seats through effective facility financing and funding. The SOAR Act application can be found on the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) website, http://osse.dc.gov/publication/scholarships-opportunity-and-results-soar-act-competition-0.
OSSE encourages District of Columbia public charter schools, charter support organizations, and District of Columbia based non-profit organizations representing and/or partnering with a D.C. public charter school to apply. Organizations applying for grants will be encouraged to focus on strategies that increase academic quality; address special populations; invest in public facility projects; and influence replication and growth.
The itemization is as follows:
Increasing Academic Quality - $3,600,000
- 3rd Party/Non-Profits - $1,750,000 (up to $100,000 per award)
- Charter School Support Organizations - $600,000 (up to $100,000 per award)
- Public Charter Schools - $1,250,000 (up to $100,000 per award)
- Addressing Special Populations - $300,000 (up to $50,000 per award)
- Investing in Public Facility Projects - $4,000,000 (up to $750,000 per award)
- Influencing Replication and Growth - $1,000,000 (up to $100,000 per award)
The duration of this grant is for a period of two (2) years from the grant award date, except for Replication and Growth which is for one (1) year. Applications are due March 22, 2013.
For additional information, please contact:
Katie Cox, Education Grants Specialist