The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) Division of Health and Wellness has released the Request for Applications (RFA) for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) Equipment Grant. The purpose of the NSLP Equipment Grant is to make a significant investment by allowing the purchase of capital equipment used to serve healthier meals; meet the nutritional standards with emphasis on more fresh fruits and vegetables in school meals; improve food safety; and expand accessibility to food services. All purchases of equipment using these funds must be in accordance with federal and District of Columbia procurement laws. The fiscal year 2020 grant is available in the Enterprise Grants Management System (EGMS) and will remain open through Friday, Nov. 22, 2019 at 3 p.m. No late applications will be accepted.
In order to make the most effective use of these grant funds, equipment requests must address at least one of the following focus areas:
- Equipment that lends itself to improving the quality of school food service meals that meet the dietary guidelines (e.g., purchasing an equipment alternative to a deep fryer, or steam ovens that improve quality of prepared fresh or fresh-frozen vegetables);
- Equipment that improves the safety of food served in the school meal programs (e.g., cold/hot holding bags/equipment, dish washing equipment, refrigeration, milk coolers, freezers, blast chillers, etc.);
- Equipment that improves the overall energy efficiency of the school food service operations (e.g., purchase of an energy-efficient walk-in freezer replacing an outdated, energy-demanding freezer);
- Equipment that allows sponsors to support expanded participation in a school meal program (e.g., equipment for serving meals in a non-traditional setting or to better utilize cafeteria space); or
- Equipment that aides in strategies for adopting smarter lunchrooms (e.g., lunchroom changes that appeal to students, highlight convenience and healthy choices, and support menu changes to healthier options).
To ensure an equal opportunity for all applicants, OSSE requests that applicants submit questions regarding the RFA electronically to Elysia DiCamillo at [email protected] by 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2019. To ensure a fair process, questions submitted after Oct. 22, 2019 will not receive responses. Responses to questions will be published by Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019 on OSSE's website.
OSSE hosted a webinar information session on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2019 at 2 p.m. A recording of the information session and the information session slides are now available to view. [view recording]
For more information or questions, please contact Elysia DiCamillo at [email protected].
Related Content: National School Lunch Program (NSLP)