The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) Division of Health and Wellness has released the Request for Applications (RFA) for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) Equipment Grant. The purpose of the NSLP Equipment Grant is to make a significant investment by allowing the purchase of capital equipment used to serve healthier meals; meet the nutritional standards with emphasis on more fresh fruits and vegetables in school meals; improve food safety, and expand access to food services. All purchases of equipment using these funds must be in accordance with federal and District of Columbia procurement laws. The fiscal year 2022 grant will be available in the Enterprise Grants Management System (EGMS) beginning on Friday, June 3, 2022 and will remain open through Friday, July 22, 2022 at 3 p.m. No late applications will be accepted.
In order to make the most effective use of these grant funds, equipment requests must address at least one of the following focus areas:
- Equipment that lends itself to improving the quality of school food service meals that meet the dietary guidelines (e.g., purchasing an equipment alternative to a deep fryer, or steam ovens that improve the quality of prepared fresh or fresh-frozen vegetables);
- Equipment that improves the safety of food served in the school meal programs (e.g., cold/hot holding bags/equipment, dishwashing equipment, refrigeration, milk coolers, freezers, blast chillers, etc.);
- Equipment that improves the overall energy efficiency of the school food service operations (e.g., purchase of an energy-efficient walk-in freezer replacing an outdated, energy-demanding freezer);
- Equipment that allows sponsors to support expanded participation in a school meal program (e.g., equipment for serving meals in a non-traditional setting or to better utilize cafeteria space); or
- Equipment that aids in strategies for adopting smarter lunchrooms (e.g., lunchroom changes that appeal to students, highlight convenience and healthy choices, and support menu changes to healthier options).
Pre-Application Question Period
- To ensure an equal opportunity for all applicants, OSSE requests that applicants submit questions regarding the RFA electronically to Elysia DiCamillo by 12 p.m. on June 17, 2022. To ensure a fair process, questions submitted after June 17, 2022 will not receive responses. Responses to questions will be published by June 22, 2022.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to participate in the following webinar information session. A recording of the information session will be available on the OSSE website.
Pre-application webinar: View the recording here.
For more information or questions, please contact Elysia DiCamillo at [email protected].