Maintenance of Effort (MOE) requires LEAs to maintain a consistent floor of state and local funding for free public education from year to year. ESSA amended the District of Columbia School Reform Act of 1995 to eliminate an exemption for charter schools from ESEA’s MOE requirements. All DC public charter LEAs must comply with MOE under ESEA. DCPS and DC charter school LEAs must submit ESEA MOE expenditure reports to OSSE after FY18 and FY19 expenditures are complete.
Supplement, Not Supplant (SNS): As amended by ESSA, LEAs may only use federal ESEA Title I-A funds to supplement and not supplant state and local funds that would otherwise be made available for the education of students participating in Title I programs. OSSE interprets USED guidance and the DC School Reform Act to mean that DC charter school LEAs need not demonstrate Title I SNS compliance to OSSE, but must continue to show SNS compliance for ESEA Titles I-IV. DCPS must demonstrate that the methodology used to allocate state and local funds to each Title I school ensures that each Title I school receives all state and local funds it would otherwise receive without federal Title I funds. DCPS will be required to submit SNS-compliant budget methodology to OSSE annually.
OSSE FY20 ConApp Webinar: Fiscal Reporting Requirements
OSSE Federal Grants Toolkit: ESEA and IDEA Part B
Maintenance of Effort
- OSSE ESEA Maintenance of Effort Memo to Charter School LEAs
- OSSE ESEA Maintenance of Effort Optional Planning Tool for FY18-19
- OSSE ESEA Maintenance of Effort Memo to DYRS
- OSSE ESEA Maintenance of Effort Optional Planning Tool for FY18_DYRS
- USED Guidance: Fiscal Changes and Equitable Services
- US Department of Education: Title I Fiscal Guidance [February 2008: MOE section still relevant]
Supplement not Supplant
Per Pupil Expenditures
For questions, contact your ESEA grant manager, [email protected] or [email protected].