Under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, state education agencies and local education agencies are required to provide students and families experiencing homelessness with information regarding community and local public agency resources. The following are various national and local resources that educators, students, parents and advocates may find helpful.
McKinney-Vento (MKV) Resources
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
- National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY)
- National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE)
- The National Homelessness Law Center (formerly the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty)
- National Network for Youth
- SchoolHouse Connection
- The Homeless Children’s Playtime Project
Emergency Shelter, Transitional Housing and Wrap Around Services Resources
- Virginia Williams Family Resource Center
- Shelter Hotline (For emergency shelter after hours, please call the Shelter Hotline at 1 (800) 535-7252 or (202) 399-7093, available 24 hours a day.)
- Covenant House Greater Washington - for youth ages 18-24 who are in need of emergency housing assistance. Please call (202) 610-9600.
- Sasha Bruce Youthwork - for youth ages 11-17 who are in need of short-term shelter. Please call the emergency hotline at (202) 547-7777.
- Latin American Youth Center
- Supporting and Mentoring Youth Advocates and Leaders (SMYAL)
- Wanda Alston Foundation
- Zoe’s Doors Drop-In Center
Domestic Violence Shelters and Services Resources
- Bread for the City
- Capital Area Food Bank - The Food Bank Network
- DC Central Kitchen
- So Others Might Eat (SOME)