The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is the State Education Agency for the District of Columbia charged with raising the quality of education for all DC residents. OSSE is focused on sustaining, accelerating, and deepening the progress being made for the District’s 90,000+ students. OSSE serves as the District’s liaison to the U.S. Department of Education and works closely with the District’s 470+ early childhood facilities, 250+ schools, 60+ local education agencies (including DCPS and charter organizations), and community-based organizations to provide critical programming and resources to our stakeholders.
The Office of Budget and Finance (OBF) in the Division of Operations manages the entire agency budget for OSSE, as well as the administrative oversight of Uniform Per Student Funding Formula (UPSFF) payments to DC Public Charter Schools (PCS). In total, this represents over $2 billion of funding. OBF ensures that OSSE and PCS can achieve their missions and goals by making sure that the budget formulation and execution are efficient, the budget process is transparent, financial policies and procedures are clearly defined, and that financial transactions are processed quickly and correctly.
The Administrative Officer will oversee a wide range of budget activities, with a focus on the administration of the UPSFF payments. This includes developing and maintaining policies for school funding and payments, managing payment processes, overseeing financial reporting requirements, working with other District government agencies on citywide funding issues, and managing special projects related to school funding. In addition, the Administrative Officer will also play a critical role in managing OSSE’s budget, which includes working with other OSSE divisions and DC government agencies, such as the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education and the Office of the City Administrator, to develop and maintain budget and financial policy goals.
Specific functions of the Administrative Office include:
- Manage all aspects of the UPSFF, including payment processes, policies, financial reporting and monitoring. Act as an adviser to the Director of Budget and Finance on all UPSFF processes. This involves close coordination and collaboration with District of Columbia Public Schools, DC Public Charter Schools, the DC Public Charter School Board, the Office of the Chief Financial Officer, the Deputy Mayor for Education, and other DC government agencies.
- Collaborate with the Director of Budget and Finance on budget formulation, budget execution, budget formulation, and other budget-related special projects. Perform in-depth analyses in order to develop and administer financialpoliciesand procedures.
Key qualifications for the role include:
- Comprehensive knowledge of policies and procedures regarding UPSFF public school funding, school budgets, and accounting principles.
- Self-starter with excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to work independently to keep projects moving forward.
- Expert-level Excel skills, especially with pivot tables and VLOOKUP formulas. Ability to analyze large amounts of financial data to make policy recommendations.
Our ideal candidate will also have:
- Superior resource and project management skills.
- Excellent problem-solving, planning, and strategic thinking skills
- Positive and flexible attitude working in a team environment where priorities and responsibilities are continuously recalibrated
Job ID 21201
Open March 9, 2023 – Closes March 19, 2023
CLICK HERE For additional information and submit your resume and application.