The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) convenes a State ESEA Title III Advisory Committee each year. Title III of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) provides funding to ensure that English learners attain English proficiency and achieve at high academic levels and can meet the same challenging state academic standards that all children meet. Title III requires that each state education agency in developing its Title III state plan consult with local educational agencies (LEAs), teachers, administrators of Title III programs, parents of English learners, and other relevant stakeholders. In addition to providing consultation on the state plan, the State Title III Advisory Committee serves as an advisory body to support OSSE in carrying out its responsibilities under Title III of the ESEA for the District of Columbia.
To ensure that a range of stakeholders are represented, OSSE recruits:
- School and LEA administrators
- Educators from institutions of higher education
- Other members of community organizations
Previous committee members are eligible to participate again.
- Provide expertise in identifying strengths and most salient needs and concerns of the children who are English learners, including immigrant students in the District.
- Analyze strengths and gaps in existing Title III-related policy, guidelines, and technical assistance.
- Contribute to OSSE’s development of educational program, administration, and accountability guidelines to support LEAs in ensuring that immigrant children and English Learners attain English proficiency and meet State academic achievement standards.
- Attend at least four of the five scheduled meetings.
- Participate in up to three additional subcommittee meetings, if needed.
- Complete tasks as assigned by the Committee.
- Review read-ahead materials, if provided three or more days prior to the meeting.
- Thursday, Oct. 15, 2020, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 28, 2021, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Thursday, March 18, 2021, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Thursday, May 13, 2021, 3:30-5 p.m.
The meetings will be virtually or at OSSE – 1050 First St. NE, First Floor, Washington, D.C. 20002.
Please apply by Friday, Sept. 18, 2020. Applicants will be notified by Friday, Oct. 2, 2020.
For more information, please contact Jennifer Norton, English Learner Program Manager, at [email protected].