In 2015, President Obama signed the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), which updates the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1965. This page provides links to resources and guidance documents on DC’s state activities, including compliance, monitoring, reporting, and completing the Consolidated Application for funding.
Click on the icons below to learn more about topics related to ESSA.
ESSA requires all states to submit a consolidated State plan for approval from the US Department of Education (USED)
- Read the DC State Plan
- Press release about the US Department of Education approval of the DC State Plan
ESSA requires all states to distribute funds and resources to local education agencies (LEAs). OSSE developed guidance to support the District’s LEAs understand how they may utilize the funds available under ESSA.
ESSA requires all states to publish annual report cards at the school, local education agency (LEA), and state levels. The DC School Report Card reports out on ESSA-required elements as well as elements approved by the DC State Board of Education. DC’s accountability system is called the School Transparency and Reporting (STAR) Framework.
- Visit the DC School Report Card website
- DC School Report Card Resources
- DC School Report Card & STAR Framework Technical Guide
- MSAA One Percent Waiver Request (July 30, 2019)
ESSA requires all states to publish per-pupil expenditures for each local education agency (LEA) and school on the annual state report card.
- Financial Reporting Requirements Under ESSA
- New ESSA Fiscal Requirements: Supplement Not Supplant and Maintenance of Effort Update
- Fiscal Summaries
ESSA requires all states to designate schools into support and improvement categories based on their performance. DC uses the STAR Framework to make these designations.
For more information or question, please contact [email protected].