Hunger doesn’t take a summer break.
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), known in Washington, DC as the DC Youth Meals Program, provides reimbursement for no-cost nutritious meals and snacks served to children 18 and younger. These meals help children in low-income areas get the nutrition they need to learn, play, and grow throughout the summer months when they are out of school.
When school is out, the meals served as a part of the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program are not available to all students, and due to families' limited budgets, or other circumstances, children will often miss wholesome meals. The DC Youth Meals Program was established to fill this hunger gap and ensure that children continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session.
Since 2012, more than 6.6 million summer meals have been served through the DC Summer Meals Program to children and youth in the District of Columbia. Sponsoring organizations included:
- Public and private local education agencies;
- Entities of state, local, and municipal government;
- Public and private non-profit organizations with 501(c)(3) status; and
- Non-profit residential and non-residential camps
If you have additional questions, please email Nicole King (SFSP Nutrition Specialist) at [email protected].
USDA is an equal opportunity provider. Visit the USDA website to view the USDA’s nondiscrimination statement.
2022 Summer Food Service Program Rates of Reimbursement
Reimbursement rate for meals served at rural/self-preparation sites:
- Breakfast: $2.6050
- Lunch or Supper: $4.5625
- Supplement (snack): $1.0775
Reimbursement rate for meals served at all other type of sites:
- Breakfast: $2.550
- Lunch or Supper: $4.4875
- Supplement (snack): $1.0525
- Sponsors and Sites Needed for the 2022 DC Summer Youth Meals Program
- Application, Supplemental and Program Operation Information
- Summer Meals Sponsor Outreach Materials
- Training and Events
- Find a Summer Meal Site
- USDA Summer Food Service Program Site
- DC Hunger Solutions
- DC Child and Adult Care Food Program
- Public Notification – Summer Food Service Program Waiver Requests
- USDA Nondiscrimination Statement (English)
- USDA Nondiscrimination Statement (Español)