The DC Teacher of the Year award recognizes and honors the many contributions of our prekindergarten through grade 12 classroom teachers. Since the inception of the program, DC Teachers of the Year have demonstrated outstanding leadership and commitment to student achievement. In addition, they:
- Have demonstrated an ability to inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn;
- Have the respect and admiration of students, parents and colleagues;
- Play an active and useful role in the community as well as in your school; and
- Are poised, articulate, and possess the energy to inspire by serving as an ambassador for the teachers of the District of Columbia.
DC Teacher of the Year nominees must meet the following baseline criteria:
- Teaches in a public or public charter school in the District of Columbia; and
- Plans to continue teaching in active status throughout the 2017-18 school year.
The 2018 DC Teacher of the Year will receive a $7500 unrestricted award to recognize their outstanding teaching service and performance. The 2018 teacher of the year will also receive an additional $1500 award to support travel to national conferences, workshops, and other professional development opportunities during the one-year teacher of the year term. The two runners up will receive a $1500 award. Throughout the course of their tenure, the 2018 DC Teacher of the Year will be asked to share their expertise by speaking to teachers and educational stakeholders, informing program and policy initiatives, and participating in professional development opportunities for District of Columbia teachers. The DC Teacher of the Year is also automatically included in the National Teacher of the Year competition. Learn more about the National Teacher of the Year Competition criteria and duties.
For more information or questions, please Annette Thacker-Bartlett at [email protected] and (202) 724-7779.