Ensure DC learners have access to robust and sustainable pathways to a fulfilling career and life by reimagining high school and providing relevant and accessible postsecondary programming.
- Maximize the Advanced Technical Center: OSSE opens and oversees the management of the city's first Advanced Technical Center to provide high school students with equitable access to and support in completing coursework that contributes to the attainment of industry recognized credentials in high-demand fields.
- Increase Access to Postsecondary Education through DC Futures: OSSE expands systems of support to DC residents through the DC Futures program, especially residents most in need of financial assistance, in order to gain access to and persist throughout postsecondary programming.
- Grow Dual Enrollment Opportunities: OSSE expands dual enrollment opportunities to high school student by refining its outreach, data management systems and support to schools in order to increase the number of students enrolling in and successfully obtaining college credits prior to graduation.
- Expand Pathways to High Demand Careers in High School: OSSE expands access to paid, credit-aligned internships opportunities for high school students (e.g. Advanced Internship Program) so that more students gain experience in high demand career fields (i.e. engineering, IT) and Career and Technical Education.
- Reduce the Number of Disengaged Youth: OSSE oversees the implementation of student re-engagement strategies in order to reduce the number of disengaged youth, ages 16-24, in DC.
- Reimagine High School Graduation Requirements: OSSE partners with stakeholders across the District to identify and implement new high school graduation requirements that incorporate outcome measures and support innovative approaches to preparing young people for life after graduation.
- Support Secondary Transitions: OSSE expands pathways for students with disabilities to gain access to postsecondary programming and opportunities, within high school and in transition after graduation.
Key Results – How we’ll measure progress
- Increase in Graduation Rates
- Increase in Postsecondary Enrollment
Priority Lead: Antoinette Mitchell, Assistant Superintendent of Postsecondary & Career Education