ACCESS for ELLs
Students that qualify for ELL services are assessed in the four domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing through an English language screener proficiency test to determine their level of English proficiency. Students who score a Level 1 to Level 4.9 on the screener test are eligible for services and will participate in the annual language proficiency test, ACCESS for ELLs (Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State to State for English Language Learners), each spring until they score an English Language proficiency level 5, which indicates the student is proficient in English.
ASSETS (Assessment Services Supporting ELs through Technology Systems) ACCESS 2.0 ASSETS is a 35-state consortium, building on the work of the WIDA Consortium, to create the next generation of English Language Proficiency tests. The ASSETS grant supports development of a technology-based assessment system for English Learners. In 2015-16, the WIDA Consortium will begin administration of the new, technology-based annual summative assessment, ACCESS for ELLs 2.0. The computerized assessment will replace the current paper-based version of ACCESS for ELLs for Grades 1-12, although the paper-based assessment will continue to be available as an accommodation and for districts who do not yet have the technology to administer the assessment online. Visit the official ASSETS website for more detailed information about the new assessment.
English Language Learners will participate in the annual English Language Proficiency test (ACCESS for ELLs) April 25, 2016-June 3, 2016.
Preparation resources for the ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 can be accessed on the WIDA website. Resources currently published include, but aren't limited to the following:
- ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Facilitator Toolkit
- ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Accessibility and Accommodations Manual
- Test Administrator, Test Coordinator, and Technology Coordinator checklists
- Recorded training webinars and Q&A documents
- OSSE Home Language Survey
- English Language Learner (ELL) Identification and Screening Guidance
- Identification and Placement Process for Limited English Proficient (LEP) Students
- OSSE Approved English Language Proficiency Assessments (Pre-k-Grade 12)
- October 2015 Webinar: Administering the ACCESS for ELLS 2.0
- WIDA ACCESS 2.0 Tech Requirements