Find OSSE's booth at DC’s only citywide public school fair!
School Year 2015-2016 Testing Accommodation Resources
- LEA Memo on School Year 2015-2016 SEDS Release
- School Year 2015-2016 SEDS Release: Guide to Understanding the Changes
- 2015-2016 OSSE Testing Accommodations SEDS Crosswalk
- Summary of Items for School Year 2015-2016 SEDS Release
- Preparing for the School Year 2015-2016 SEDS Release
PARCC Accommodations and Accessibility Features
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) supports the use of appropriate testing accommodations for all District of Columbia’s students with disabilities (SWDs) and English language learners (ELLs). The second edition of the PARCC Accessibility Features and Accommodations Manual is a comprehensive policy document that provides guidance to districts and decision-making teams to ensure that the PARCC Mid-Year, Performance-Based, and End-of-Year Assessments provide valid results for all participating students.
Four distinct groups of students may receive accommodations on PARCC assessments:
- Students with disabilities who have an Individualized Education Program (IEP);
- Students with a Section 504 plan who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, have a record of such an impairment, or are regarded as having such an impairment, but who do not qualify for special education services;
- Students who are English learners; and
- Students who are English learners and with disabilities who have an IEP or 504 plan. These students are eligible for both accommodations for students with disabilities and English learners.
By implementing universal design principles, leveraging technology, and offering accommodations, PARCC intends to provide opportunities for the widest possible number of students to demonstrate what they know and can do while maintaining high expectations for all students. Driven by what is expected of students in the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and the claims of the PARCC summative assessments, common policies for accommodations, participation, and assessment accessibility features will increase equitable access, fidelity of implementation, and comparability across PARCC states.
PARCC Accessibility Features and Accommodations Manual and Appendixes A- J
PARCC Accessibility Features and Accommodations Manual
- Appendix A: Accessibility Features and Accommodations for Students Taking the Paper-and-Pencil PARCC Assessments
- Appendix B: Test Administration Protocol for the Read-Aloud Accommodation for English Language Arts/Literacy Assessments and Accessibility Feature for Mathematics Assessments
- Appendix C: Protocol for the Use of the Scribe Accommodation
- Appendix D: Text-to-Speech, Human Reader, or Interpreter Accommodation Guidance for English Language Arts/Literacy Assessments
- Appendix E: Guidance for Selecting and Administering the Extended Time Accommodation
- Appendix F: Unique Accommodation Request Form
- Appendix G: Use of an Emergency Accommodation on a PARCC Assessment
- Appendix H: Student Accommodation Refusal Form
- Appendix I: Audio and Human Reader Guidelines for the ELA/Literacy Assessments
- Appendix J: Audio and Human Reader Guidelines for the Mathematics Assessments
- Appendix K: Legal Background
- Appendix L: Human Signer Guidelines
- Appendix M: PARCC Assessments for Students with Visual Impairment, Including Blindness
Additional PARCC Resources
- PARCC Accommodations & Accessibility Features Webinar Recording
- PARCC to SEDS Crosswalk for PARCC Accessibility Features and Accommodations
- PARCC Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
- PARCC English Language Learner Accommodations
OSSE is committed to ongoing evaluation of accommodations available to students with disabilities and Limited English Proficient (LEP) students. As a part of this effort, OSSE commissioned a study in 2009 on the use of accommodations by students with disabilities on the annual statewide assessment. The detailed report is available upon request. However, a summary of findings from the report is available.