The purpose of this policy is to set expectations and provide guidance and technical assistance with regard to the state-level issues related to the closure of a District of Columbia public charter school, also referred to as a Local Educational Agency (LEA).
A charter school may close for a variety of reasons including, for example, voluntary relinquishment of a charter, charter revocation, or nonrenewal of a charter by the authorizing authority. A charter school closure is governed by applicable laws and regulations, and appropriate procedures established by the charter authorizing authority, including the District of Columbia Public Charter School Board (PCSB).
This policy highlights the following state-level concerns:
- Notification of Closure Status
- Student Records and Retention
- Students with Disabilities
- Students attending a Non Public School
- Financial and Grants Closeout
- Dispersal of Unspent Funds
- Disposition of Assets
- Data Collection and Reporting
- Consolidations and Mergers
- UPSFF Payments and Remittance