OSSE Requests Nominations for the 2017 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST)
There are outstanding science and mathematics teachers throughout the District of Columbia. Help us identify and recognize these exceptional educators by nominating them for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST). In addition to recognizing outstanding teaching in mathematics or science (including computer science), the program provides teachers with an opportunity to build lasting partnerships with colleagues across the nation. This growing network of award-winning teachers serves as a vital resource for improving science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education and keeping America globally competitive. Recipients of the award will receive a certificate signed by the President, a $10,000 award from the National Science Foundation, and a paid trip for two to attend a series of recognition events and professional development opportunities in Washington, DC. Please refer to the eligibility criteria below, and visit the PAEMST website to complete an online nomination form. The submission deadline is April 1, 2017.
For more information or questions, please email Tasha Jones at [email protected].
2017 PAEMST Awardees nominees must:
- Teach mathematics or science (including computer science) at the 7-12 grade level in a public or private school.
- Hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Be a full-time employee of the school or school district, and teach students at least 50 percent of the time.
- Have at least 5 years of full-time, K-12 mathematics or science (including computer science) teaching experience prior to the 2016-17 academic school year.
- Be an US citizen or permanent resident.
- Not have received the PAEMST award at the national level in any prior competition or category.