Dear Potential Members of the Title I Committee of Practitioners:
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is requesting applications from candidates interested in serving on the State Title I Committee of Practitioners. The State Title I Committee of Practitioners serves as an advisory body that supports OSSE in carrying out its responsibilities under Title I of the ESEA for the District of Columbia. The Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1965, as updated by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015, requires each state education agency (SEA) to maintain such a committee, and as the SEA for the District of Columbia, OSSE is updating the membership of its committee.
The membership of the State Title I Committee of Practitioners must meet certain federal requirements to ensure that different stakeholders are represented. OSSE is seeking a variety of applications for membership. These include:
- Principals and other school leaders;
- Representatives of authorized public chartering agencies (e.g. PCSB members or staff);
- LEA and school administrators, including administrators of programs in Title I;
- Teachers in District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) and charter schools;
- Career and technical educators;
- Members of public charter school boards of directors;
- Members of the State Board of Education;
- Specialized instructional support personnel (including school social workers, psychologists, nurses, speech language pathologists, counselors, or other special education service providers); and
OSSE requests that you consider applying to the State Title I Committee of Practitioners and distribute this application form widely to other potentially interested individuals.
Attached to this letter you will find a summary of benefits and responsibilities of becoming a member of the State Title I Committee of Practitioners, along with the membership application. The complete application must be submitted electronically, accompanied by a current résumé, to [email protected].
The deadline for the submission of applications is 12 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 23, 2017. The State Superintendent Hanseul Kang or her designee will appoint members to terms of two or three years.
The first meeting for all individuals selected to serve on the State Title I Committee of Practitioners will be Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017 from 4-6:30 p.m. at 810 First St. NE., Washington, DC 20002.
If you have additional questions or would like more information, please contact Jonathan Elkin at (202) 481-3875 or [email protected].
Thank you very much for sharing these documents and encouraging individuals to apply.
Elementary, Secondary, and Specialized Education
- State Title I Committee of Practitioners Application
- Membership Benefits and Responsibilities
- Frequently Asked Questions
Related Content: Title I Committee of Practitioners