The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is focused on sustaining, accelerating, and deepening the progress being made for the District’s 90,000+ students. OSSE serves as the District’s liaison to the U.S. Department of Education and works closely with the District’s 470+ early childhood facilities, 250+ schools, 60+ local education agencies (including DCPS and charter organizations), and countless community based organizations.
The Agency’s functions are expansive, and include leading the collection and analysis of education data across the District, overseeing $200M+ in annual grant funding, providing door-to-door transportation to school for 3,000 children with special needs, awarding $30M in higher education financial assistance to eligible District students, administering the annual Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) across the District, and managing the District’s common enrollment lottery.
The director of communications catalyzes the Agency’s impact by ensuring effective communications strategy and execution, in order to best serve local education agencies, community based organizations, families and students of the District of Columbia. He/she is charged with ensuring that internal and external stakeholders are clear on the agency’s role, its direction and priorities, policy decisions and the rationale behind them, as well as our impact and outcomes for the communities we serve.
The director of communications oversees a team of 5 talented specialists, who provide a range of communications support including managing our internal communications review process, developing communications materials and marketing collateral, implementing organizational culture initiatives, ensuring access to services for community members of all language backgrounds, and event support.
The specific functions of the director role include:
- Leading media and public relations—including developing a strong working relationship with key reporters, providing strategic advice and guidance for OSSE executives, preparing key OSSE representatives for media and public interactions, and ensuring timely and effective responses to media inquiries
- Developing a strategic communications plan and key communications goals for the agency, in conjunction with key stakeholders such as OSSE’s leadership team and the Mayor’s communications team
- Managing a team of specialists and ensuring their effective execution of communications plans and projects
- Ensuring effective structures and channels for communicating with key audiences and stakeholders
- Working with program teams to understand the work of the agency and ensuring that programmatic outcomes and policies are communicated effectively to key stakeholders
Key qualifications for the role include:
- Track record in media relations, crisis communications, and public relations
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Effective team and project management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Eagerness to be creative, innovative and proactive in seeking solutions
The director of communications will report to the chief of staff.
Interested applicants should submit an application at careers.dc.gov for Job ID 3551.