Starting Salary $54,183
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is the State Education Agency for the District of Columbia charged with raising the quality of education for all DC residents. The Division of Student Transportation is responsible for administering safe, reliable, and efficient transportation services for students with disabilities that require it under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). OSSE-DOT provides services for more than 3100 students to schools along nearly 500 bus routes, traveling more than 27,000 miles per day.
The mission of OSSE DOT is to provide safe, reliable, and efficient transportation services that positively support learning opportunities for eligible students from the District of Columbia. This position functions as the assistant to the Fleet Director to manage the vehicle ownership, maintenance and accounts payable/receivable records of buses, other STS vehicles and terminals.
The incumbent of this position is required to conduct daily collection, recommendation and reporting of fleet and facilities maintenance data, documents and reports to ensure Federal and local compliance of all related transportation regulations. The incumbent interacts with terminal personnel from a management perspective, directing and coordinating activities associated with providing reliable, efficient, and safe transportation.
Specific functions of the Fleet Management Specialist:
This position performs a variety of accounts payable and receivable functions which includes, review of all invoices for accuracy, process all invoices for payment. Initiates requests for necessary vendor credits and maintains the vendor information file for procurement transactions.
Performs Fleet and Facilities Maintenance Data functions. Compiles and records repair and inspection information to the fleet maintenance databases, compiles and records all fuel information to the fleet maintenance databases. Audits databases for accuracy, compiles and records repair information to the facilities maintenance database.
Maintains Vehicle Unit Files. Retains all fleet documents in accordance with STS regulations. Compiles and records vehicle data for inventory purposes. Acquires and maintains all vehicle titles, permits, insurance certificates and registrations. Prepares various reports and compiles daily route stats.
Monitors inspection schedules to ensure compliance, records and tracks daily vehicle transactions for breakdowns, vehicle returns, inspection status, fleet complaints and special campaigns. Compiles and records inventory transactions of safety items to be issued to each bus. Participates in training of personnel, and issues manuals, bulletins, and technical guides, to improve services and operational activities.
Key Qualifications and skills:
- Ability and experiences sufficient to evaluate data, solve conflicts and participate in and clarify data gained from meetings;
- Ability to write clearly and informatively, and to present numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information;
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities; to give and receive feedback; and build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives;
- Ability to promote and improve quality and accuracy. Ability to promote STS policies and procedures.
Other Significant Factors:
- This position is designated as a Security-Sensitive. Accordingly, the incumbent will be subject to pre-employment checks (criminal background checks, consumer credit check, traffic record checks, and drug screenings, if applicable) as a condition of employment, and will be subject to periodic criminal background checks for the duration of your tenure.
Interested applicants should register for the DOT Hiring Fair.