The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE’s) Homeless Education Program and Division of Postsecondary and Career Education (PCE) are partnering for the fourth year to sponsor 25 rising 9th-12th grade students experiencing homelessness from public and public charter schools in the District to attend residential summer programs at colleges and universities.
1. Students must be currently enrolled in a public or public charter school in the District and be identified as a student experiencing homelessness by their local educational agency (LEA) in OSSE’s online database during the 2018-19 school year.
2. Students must complete and submit via email the 2019 College Summer Program Experience Interest to Participate form to Tasheen Stallings at Tasheen [email protected] and Tiffany Williams at [email protected] by Monday, June 10, 2019.
3. Applicants must complete the American University – Discover the World of Communication online application by Monday, June 10, 2019:
- American University, Session II
- June 30-July 12, 2019 (2 Weeks)
- Discover The World of Communication
Participants who qualify for the summer college program will receive college care packages that provide all essential items to support them living in the dorms, attending college classroom lectures, engaging in hands-on activities, and completing group projects as part of their closing ceremony at their respective university campuses.
Additional requirements for rising 9th-12th graders to be considered:
- Complete the American University-Discover the World of Communication welcome packet (see above),
- Submit updated health records,
- Submit academic current school transcripts and GPA,
- Submit letters of recommendation,
- Commit to staying on a college campus for the duration of the selected program,
- Attend OSSE’s summer program orientation on Wednesday, June 19, 2019, from 5-7 p.m. at OSSE, 1050 First St. NE - Fifth Floor Nannie Helen Burroughs Room 523, and
- Attend OSSE’s summer program post session meeting on Wednesday, July 17, 2019, from 2-4 p.m. at OSSE 1050 First St. NE - Fifth Floor Nannie Helen Burroughs Conference Room 523.
For assistance with enrollment, transportation, trainings and community outreach, please contact:
Homeless Education Program Analyst
[email protected] or (202) 478-5927
For assistance with the DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG) program, please contact:
Postsecondary and Career Education Management Analyst
[email protected] or (202) 727-2824