Starting Salary $54,183
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is the State Education Agency for the District of Columbia charged with raising the quality of education for all DC residents. The Division of Student Transportation is responsible for administering safe, reliable, and efficient transportation services for students with disabilities that require it under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). OSSE-DOT provides services for more than 3100 students to schools along nearly 500 bus routes, traveling more than 27,000 miles per day.
The mission of OSSE DOT is to provide safe, reliable, and efficient transportation services that positively support learning opportunities for eligible students from the District of Columbia. This position is located in the Parent Resource Center (PRC). The Customer Service Specialist is responsible for prompt and courteous responses to parents, schools, and other external partners. The role will also be responsible for providing that same level of customer service for internal communications with departments within OSSE DOT. The Customer Service Specialist will report directly to the Customer Service Manager for the PRC.
Specific functions of the Customer Service Specialist:
The Customer Service Specialist greets and welcomes all internal/external OSSE visitors, in person and by phone, with utmost professionalism, courtesy and respect. Displays an understanding of the individual needs and requests. Announces all guests/visitors to appropriate OSSE staff. Responds quickly, orally and in writing, to a moderate to high volume of inquiries concerning OSSE programs and services. Evaluates the nature of each inquiry and provides information that is appropriate and accurate to the unique circumstances of everyone. Makes appropriate referrals and follows up in a timely manner.
Elicits information, with sensitivity, regarding the caller's situation and status under different programs from the various functional areas of the Department. Analyzes information gathered from callers ascertaining whether urgent action is required. Directs inquiries or response requests to the proper staff member(s) and/or location. Completes assignments and tasks that require abilities to research and gather information. Makes referrals and seeks supervisory assistance when necessary.
Key Qualifications and skills:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Organization skills to take on projects, meet deadlines, facilitate reports, and coordinate office communication;
- Skilled to handle and process a high volume of phone calls, guests, and visitors in a professional manner;
- Maintains efficiency in administrative operations;
- Possesses analytical ability to research and strong attention to detail;
- Ability to problem-solving and resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Skilled in gathering, analyzing, developing information and alternative solutions;
- Ability to communicate professionalism orally and in writing.
Other Significant Factors:
- This position is designated as a Security-Sensitive. Accordingly, the incumbent will be subject to pre-employment checks (criminal background checks, consumer credit check, traffic record checks, and drug screenings, if applicable) as a condition of employment, and will be subject to periodic criminal background checks for the duration of your tenure.
Interested applicants should register for the DOT Hiring Fair.