Starting Salary $80,784
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is the State Education Agency for the District of Columbia charged with raising the quality of education for all DC residents. The Division of Student Transportation is responsible for administering safe, reliable, and efficient transportation services for students with disabilities that require it under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). OSSE-DOT provides services for more than 3100 students to schools along nearly 500 bus routes, traveling more than 27,000 miles per day.
The mission of OSSE DOT is to provide safe, reliable, and efficient transportation services that positively support learning opportunities for eligible students from the District of Columbia. This position supports OSSE in advancing the District of Columbia’s strategic plan and contributing to the improvement of the quality of life for all residents. The Community Outreach Specialist independently plans, prioritizes, and carries out responsibilities resolving problems as the arise.
Specific functions of the Community Outreach Specialist:
The Community Outreach Specialist provides staff support, technical advice, project management and direction to assist with community and community-based organizations. Conducts community outreach studies, analyzes, and makes recommendations to improve the program effectiveness. Conducts school visits to provide support, technical advice, and assistance to LEAs, parents, and other stakeholders. Coordinates the implementation of projects as assigned. Serves as liaison and technical resource assistant to the various committees for planning and scheduling. Committees include government agencies, the community, and/or community organizations. Including providing referrals to applicable committees when necessary.
Represents the agency by planning and participating in a wide range of community activities as assigned including, but not limited to community conferences and planning meetings, Advisory Neighborhood Council meetings, neighborhood organization meetings, and/or Transportation Advisory Council meetings as applicable. Compiles data for Supervisor in preparation for meetings and conferences. Advocates on behalf of the community within the government structure by addressing a wide range of staffing, funding, and policy issues that affect both the availability and quality of services to residents of the District of Columbia. Coordinates, schedules, outlines, and participates in a number of community outreach activities to include, but not limited to, educational programs, meetings, workshops, activities, etc. Trains and coordinates volunteers.
Key Qualifications and skills:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Organization skills to take on projects, meet deadlines, facilitate reports, and coordinate office communication;
- Skilled to handle and process a high volume of phone calls, guests, and visitors in a professional manner;
- Possesses analytical ability to research and strong attention to detail;
- Ability to problem-solving and resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Skilled in gathering, analyzing, developing information and alternative solutions;
- Knowledge of applications of automated systems like Salesforce;
- Knowledge of the principles and concepts of customer service and the practices related to Department programs;
- Ability to communicate professionalism orally and in writing.
Other Significant Factors:
- This position is designated as a Security-Sensitive. Accordingly, the incumbent will be subject to pre-employment checks (criminal background checks, consumer credit check, traffic record checks, and drug screenings, if applicable) as a condition of employment, and will be subject to periodic criminal background checks for the duration of your tenure.
Interested applicants should register for the DOT Hiring Fair.