The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is the State Education Agency for the District of Columbia charged with raising the quality of education for all DC residents. OSSE is focused on sustaining, accelerating, and deepening the progress being made for the District’s 90,000+ students. OSSE serves as the District’s liaison to the U.S. Department of Education and works closely with the District’s 470+ early childhood facilities, 250+ schools, 60+ local education agencies (including DCPS and charter organizations), and community-based organizations to provide critical programming and resources to our stakeholders.
The Director of Student Transportation Services will lead the Division of Student Transportation (OSSE-DOT) in the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) and is under the executive-level direction of the State Superintendent of Education. The Director would be responsible for overseeing a division of 1500 employees- including drivers and attendants- across four terminals. The Division of Student Transportation is responsible for administering safe, reliable, and efficient transportation services for students with disabilities that require it under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Further, the Director would be responsible for an operating budget of $116 million and a capital budget of $5 million. OSSE-DOT provides services for more than 3100 students to schools along nearly 500 bus routes, traveling more than 27,000 miles per day. The Director of Student Transportation Services serves on the Superintendent’s Leadership Team.
To succeed in this role, the Director of Student Transportation must possess the ability to examine existing student transportation operations and quickly develop a strong vision for improving operations, efficiency, and staff morale. The ideal candidate will possess significant managerial and executive leadership experience in operations, logistics, budgeting, contracts, and labor relations. Further, the ideal candidate will have significant supervisory experience managing multiple mid-level managers. Experience in transportation or fleet management is a significant plus. The Director of Student Transportation must have a demonstrated track record of maintaining constructive relationships with internal peers and external stakeholders and fully exemplify collaboration and transparency. The ideal candidate is a pragmatic, solutions-oriented thinker with superior professional judgment.
Specific functions of the Director of Transportation
- Plans, directs, and organizes student transportation services in accordance with applicable federal and local laws to ensure safety, reliability, and efficiency;
- Provides oversight of safety, regulatory, and compliance functions of the Division of Student Transportation;
- Ensures effective management and oversight of the annual operating and capital budget of the Division of Student Transportation in accordance with District government rules and procedures to ensure appropriate resource allocation for the Division;
- Ensures the effective upkeep of all OSSE-DOT assets including terminal facilities and vehicles;
- Ensures effective on-boarding, training, management, and support of all OSSE-DOT employees- drivers, attendants, and office personnel;
- Maintains and enhances data systems for tracking daily and aggregated delivery and services to schools, students, parents as applicable;
- Works in collaboration with the District of Columbia Human Resources, General Counsel, and Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining (OLRCB) in negotiating collective bargaining agreements with Union officials;
- Establishes and maintains constructive, consistent, and effective engagement with stakeholders including but not limited to union representatives, sister government agencies, vendors, LEA and school officials, parents, students, and advocates; and
- Collaborates transparently and effectively with all members of the OSSE leadership team and across divisions in the agency to ensure effective agency coordination.
- Bachelor’s Degree required;
- Excellent problem-solving, planning, negotiation, and strategic thinking skills;
- Demonstrated ability in providing exemplary customer service;
- Demonstrated experience overseeing multi-million dollar operational and capital budgets and aligning resources to agency priorities;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in leading and managing a large team of various functions including front line staff and administrative staff;
- Superior relationship building skills in establishing and maintaining constructive working relationships with coworkers, peers, staff and stakeholders;
- Superior oral and written communication skills to prepare and present recommendations and/or solutions regarding complex issues;
- Demonstrated experience maintaining effective labor relations in a unionized labor sector;
- Embodies OSSE’s core values;
Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE)- Who We Are
- OSSE is focused on sustaining, accelerating, and deepening the progress being made for the District’s 90,000+ students. As the state education agency, OSSE serves as the District’s liaison to the US Department of Education and works closely with the District’s 470+ early childhood facilities, 250+ schools, 60+ local education agencies (including DCPS and charter organizations), and community-based organizations.
- Over the years, OSSE has worked hard to improve systems and supports to help close the achievement gap and ensure people of all ages and backgrounds are prepared to succeed in school and in life. DC remains the fastest improving state and urban school system in the country on the National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as the Nation’s Report Card.
- OSSE plays a key role as the state education agency in moving the District’s public education system from recovery to restoration after over two years of uncertainty and upheaval caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
Interested applicants should email their resume to [email protected].
The subject line must include the position title and your first and last name. Example: Director of Student Transportation – Jane Doe