The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE), a mission-driven, complex, and dynamic government agency in the District of Columbia, seeks a Deputy Chief of Staff – Internal Planning and Supports. This role of strategic importance reports directly to Chief of Staff and leads strategic planning, performance management, and supportive functions for the Superintendent and Chief of Staff. This position also oversees the implementation of major, strategic projects; supports problem solving and cross-divisional coordination; and helps to ensure that the Superintendent’s day is seamless and productive by ensuring effective scheduling and high quality daily briefing materials. Further, this role will support the Superintendent and Chief of Staff’s efforts to build a strong, cohesive, and effective executive leadership team.
To succeed in this role, the candidate must possess a strong record of making the trains in an organization run on time. The ideal candidate is meticulous, an effective planner, and a strong executor that can assemble strong teams, provide clear direction, and drive groups of people towards strong results. The candidate must be able to develop and refine processes to ensure operational efficiency. The ideal candidate works to ensure that balls don’t drop and nothing falls between the cracks. They must have the ability to build the relationships necessary to ensure everyone follows the organization’s operational procedures and processes. If balls drop, they are critical thinkers and always looking for ways to refine processes to ensure it doesn’t happen again. The ideal candidate also must possess impeccable discretion and professional judgement.
Agency Planning & Performance Management (40%)
- Manages the process for developing division and cross-agency priorities;
- Oversees implementation of the agency’s cross-agency priorities;
- Oversees the agency’s performance plan development and reporting as required for Executive agencies;
- Manages the agency’s internal performance management routines, including regular division priority reviews, LT Stats, and stock takes;
- Manages the development of agendas and supporting materials for regular LT meetings and retreats to ensure the strategic use of the executive team’s time; and
- Drives the agency’s strategy planning efforts, as needed.
Special Projects (30%)
- Provides project management and cross-divisional coordination for major strategic projects in order to oversee successful design and implementation; and
- Oversees the implementation of the agency’s Annual Staff Survey, the analysis of results, distribution to staff, and the development of recommendations for improvement.
Executive Support Management (20%)
- Supervises the Superintendent’s administrative assistant to effectively schedule the Superintendent to maximize her time;
- Prepares agendas and meeting materials to support the agency’s executive leadership team and leadership in the Office of the Chief of Staff;
- Ensures that the Superintendent’s daily briefing materials are complete and of high quality; and
- Builds and evaluates systems and processes to ensure the effectiveness of the Division of the Chief of Staff.
Chief of Staff Support (10%)
- Supervises the Chief of Staff Program Associate;
- Supports the Chief of Staff in developing agendas and facilitating routine Chief of Staff meetings and retreats; and
- Supports the Chief of Staff as needed with organizational and hiring needs.
- The Deputy Chief of Staff - Internal Planning & Supports may be responsible for other duties as assigned in order to ensure the effective management of the agency.
- A Bachelors’ Degree from an accredited institution of higher education;
- Significant project planning and management experience;
- Experience providing strategic and operational support to mid-level or senior executives in either government, nonprofit or private sector;
- Excellent problem-solving, planning, and strategic thinking skills;
- Superior relationship-building skills in establishing and maintaining constructive working relationships with coworkers, peers, staff, and stakeholders; and
- Embodies OSSE’s core values.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected].