Office of the State Superintendent of Education
Division of Student Transportation
GET ON BOARD WITH US!
Are you a qualified candidate who wants to make a difference in the lives of special needs students in the District of Columbia?
Learn more about OSSE and our school bus driver positions.
- Impactful Work
- Competitive Pay
- Health, Life, and Dental Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Retirement and Savings Plans
- Paid Vacation, Sick, and Holidays
For immediate consideration, you will need the following documents:
- HS Diploma
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with P and S endorsement
Prior to hiring, we will also need:
- Valid CPR and First Aid Certification (training provided)
- Negative Drug Test
- Cleared Criminal Background Check
- Three Professional References
To apply online, please go to DCHR’s current job openings, select “OSSE DOT Department” as the “Agency,” and click on the Motor Vehicle Operator posting that appears after you press the “search” button. If there are no Motor Vehicle Operator jobs posted at the time, email [email protected] to get on our mailing list—you will be informed when we post for new jobs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What are the general hours of operation for school bus drivers?
Typical there are two work shifts Morning and Afternoon.
Hours of Operation: 5 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Typical Morning Shift: 6 - 9:30 a.m.
Typical Afternoon Shift: 2 - 5:30 p.m.
(Shift hours are subject to change depending on Route Assignment)
2. Do school bus drivers receive benefits?
Yes, school bus drivers are eligible to receive benefits.
3. What are the locations of your bus terminals?
OSSE has four terminals:
- Fifth Street Terminal (2115 Fifth St., NE)
- New York Avenue Terminal (1345 New York Avenue, NE)
- Adams Place Terminal (2001 Adams Place, NE)
- Southwest Terminal (4 DC Village Lane, SW)
Related Content: OSSE Career Opportunities