Before you apply
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if eligible*
- Complete the DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG) application if eligible**
- Gather electronic copies of all required documents. You will be required to upload them electronically in the application. Make sure they are in one of the following formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .jpeg
If you have already completed FAFSA and applied for DC TAG (including submitted all supporting documents, and have been made eligible), the process is easy! Prepare the following documents to apply:
- High school transcript, college transcript, or GED/NEDP transcript
- Assessment scores (GED applicants only)
- College financial aid award letter for 2019-20 (This document is MANDATORY, but the application may be submitted without it. Please note that we will need this document in order to move forward with any decision on funding.)
If you are not eligible for federal funding, and therefore have not completed the FAFSA*, then prepare one of the following documents to prove your income:
- Federal tax return 2018
- Proof of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) 2018
- Proof of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) 2018
If you are not eligible for the DC TAG program, and therefore have not completed the DC TAG application, then prepare two of the required DC domicile/residency verification documents, as well as your Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA.
Remember, all documents must be submitted in electronic format.
*If you’re not eligible, you may still be eligible for Mayor’s Scholars funding
**If you’re not eligible for DC TAG because of your age, the college you’re attending, or because you have exhausted your DC TAG funding, you may still be eligible for Mayor’s Scholars funding. However, if you’re not eligible for DC TAG because of DC domicile status, you will likely not be eligible for Mayor’s Scholars funding. Please direct questions to [email protected].