Office of the State Superintendent of Education

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

DC Mayor’s Scholars Undergraduate Program FAQs: Current Mayor’s Scholars Awardees

Updated: Feb. 25, 2019

Question 1: How much money will I receive?
Recipients of Mayor’s Scholars funding can receive up to $4,000 per year, for up to 4 years for an associate’s degree, and up to 6 years for a bachelor’s degree. The funds are available first-come, first-serve, and you must re-apply each year. There is no guarantee of funding, as funds are only available until they run out.

Question 2: What does “last dollar” mean?
Last dollar funding is funding provided only after a student has exhausted all other financial resources, including federal grants, institutional aid, and scholarships, with the exception of DC-CAP’s last dollar award and Federal Work Study. Additionally, student loans are not factored into a student’s Mayor's Scholars award calculation.

Question 3: How do I apply?
The Mayor’s Scholars application is entirely online, located on OSSE's website. Applicants must electronically submit basic personal information, current high school, college, or GED/NEDP information, proof of DC residency, and proof of financial need. The exact document requirements are located on the OSSE website. The application for academic year 2019-20 will open on April 15, 2019. The application deadline for the 2019-20 school year funding is July 1, 2019.

Question 4: What if my application documents are not electronic? Can I bring them in?
We ask that applicants first attempt to make application documents electronic, and upload them into the application. There are a few ways to do this. 1) Scan and upload documents using a scanner, 2) take a clear photo of the document with a cell phone, or 3) if the document exists online (i.e. student unofficial transcript is being access through an online portal), take a screen shot and save a copy. This can be accomplished by right-clicking the screen, selecting “print”, and then selecting “save as PDF” as the printer destination. If an applicant has tried all three options to no avail, the last resort is to bring application documents in person to:

Mayor’s Scholars Undergraduate Program/Division of Postsecondary and Career Education
1050 First St. NE, Fifth Floor
Washington, DC

Note: Applicants should drop their documents off with the receptionist in an envelope labeled “Mayor’s Scholars Undergraduate Program.”

Question 5: I do not have a social security number. Am I eligible?
Yes. Applicants are not required to be US citizens to be eligible for Mayor’s Scholars funding. If an applicant does not have a social security number, they will be given a temporary ID number on the application. Applicants will need to provide documentation of DC residency from a required list of documents, as well as financial need through either a Federal Tax Return, or proof of participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

Question 6: What colleges and universities are eligible?
There are 19 area colleges and universities in the greater Washington area that students can attend and be eligible to receive Mayor’s Scholars funds. Please review the list of eligible colleges and universities. If at any time a student transfers to a non-eligible institution, they will no longer receiving funding.

Question 7: What if my college or university is not on the list?
Unfortunately, Mayor’s Scholars recipients must be attending a college or university from the list of eligible institutions. Applicants are not eligible for funding if they attend another institution, or transfer to another institution at any time.

Question 8: I have not applied to DCTAG yet. Can I apply for Mayor’s Scholars?
Typically, no. Almost all applicants must first apply for DCTAG funds in order to be eligible for the Mayor’s Scholars Undergraduate Program. Typically, the only exceptions are applicants who are no longer eligible for DCTAG because of their age, because they are attending a non-eligible university, because they have exhausted all of their DCTAG funding, or because they are not eligible to complete the FAFSA. There may be other exceptions.

Question 9: What if I’m not eligible for DCTAG because I’m planning to enroll in a non-DCTAG institution (i.e. UDC) or I’m over 24 years old? Am I eligible for Mayor’s Scholars?
Possibly. As long as the institution the applicant is attending is on the list of eligible colleges and universities, and they otherwise meet all requirements for funding, they can apply. Applicants will need to be sure to prepare their DC domicile/residency verification documents, and their FAFSA Student Aid Report, since OSSE will not be able to refer to their DCTAG application for those documents.

Question 10: What if I’m not eligible for FAFSA? Can I still apply to Mayor’s Scholars?
Possibly. As long as the applicant otherwise meets all requirements for Mayor’s Scholars, they can apply. Applicants will need to be sure to prepare their DC domicile/residency verification as well as their income eligibility proof (Federal Tax Return, or proof of SNAP or TANF) since OSSE will not be able to refer to their DCTAG application for those documents.