OSSE’s Division of Systems and Supports, K-12, in collaboration with the DC Office of the Attorney General (OAG) and the DC Child and Family Services Agency (CFSA), will host a combined virtual Human Trafficking Awareness and Mandated Reporter Training. Mandated reporters are professionals obligated by the federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) and DC law to report known or suspected incidents of child abuse and neglect. In DC, mandated reporters who should be trained include school officials, teachers, athletic coaches, counselors, social service workers and other direct care professionals. This training is for new mandated reporters, previously identified mandated reporters, as well as DC educators and school staff who interact with District students.
The training will provide information on:
- Risk factors that make students susceptible to exploitation
- Recognizing signs of human trafficking
- How to respond and report to human trafficking cases
- Promising practices and resources for LEAs
- How to recognize the signs of child abuse and neglect
- How to talk to child and youth victims
- When to report
- How to report
- Educational neglect reporting process
For more information or questions, please contact OSSE's Special Programs Unit at [email protected].