OSSE, in collaboration with SMYAL, will host a training tailored for educators and school teams to support Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) students. In this half-day workshop, participants will learn information about the LGBTQ youth population and best practices for working with said youth in a variety of spaces.
Attendees will explore the following topics:
- Key vocabulary and definitions,
- How to enhance interactions and outcomes for LGBTQ students,
- Incorporate LGBTQ subject matter into academic curricula,
- Engaging parents in LGBTQ support, and
- Implement school safety plans for LGBTQ youth.
Educators who attend will be eligible for two hours of professional development support in creating Gender Sexuality and Alliance Clubs or writing inclusive lesson plans. The workshop is intended for educators, school administrators, teachers, social workers and counselors serving in public and public charter schools in the District of Columbia.
For questions, please contact Kristian Lenderman at [email protected].