OSSE invites high school, English Language Arts (ELA) Grades 9-12 teachers and instructional coaches to register for a standards bootcamp series, which will include four, half-day professional development opportunities focused on deepening instructional practice of the ELA, Common Core State Standards. The Secondary ELA Standards Bootcamp will have three main areas of focus:
- In-depth grounding in the standards which guide the student learning experience to move towards improved student outcomes and engagement
- Deepening content knowledge about reading by examining the critical relationship between complex text and
- Equitable instructional practice by using the standards to ensure that all students have equitable access to rigorous, high-quality instructional materials and outcomes.
Through these sessions, participants will understand the intersection of reading and writing standards in the role they play in close and volume reading. Participants will be prepared to increase engagement and access to rigorous and complex texts and tasks using evidence-based practices, strategies, and tools. Additionally, participants will have the opportunity to engage and collaborate with colleagues across the city to enhance and strengthen practice.
Participants of the cohort will have the opportunity to receive technical assistance in conjunction with participating in four, in-person sessions. Space is limited, early registrations is strongly encouraged. Attendance at all four sessions is mandatory; more information will be provided at the first meeting on Aug. 15.
- The first half-day session on Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019 at OSSE, Bill Nye Training Room, Fourth Floor, Room 422.
- Thursday, Oct. 17, 2019 at OSSE, First Floor Eleanor Holmes Norton III (Room 110).
- Thursday, Jan. 23, 2020 at OSSE, First Floor Eleanor Holmes Norton III (Room 110).
- Thursday, April 2, 2020 at OSSE, First Floor Eleanor Holmes Norton III (Room 110).
For questions, please contact Ashleigh Tillman at [email protected].