The Middle School Literacy Community of Practice (CoP) is an opportunity for classroom teachers, instructional coaches, school administrators, and school support staff across the District to come together to discuss evidence-based literacy strategies specific to the middle school population. During each monthly session participants will receive resources and strategies for immediate implementation. The CoP will meet for a total of five sessions, with each session consisting of best practices, teacher discussion, and resource overviews. Participants should plan to be actively engaged and will be asked to share out current practices to support the learning of the CoP. Sessions will address the following topics:
- Session 1: Application of Universal Design for Learning
- Session 2: Integration of Assessment and Literacy
- Session 3: Effective Literacy and English Language Instruction
- Session 4: Implementation of Comprehension Strategies for Middle School Students
- Session 5: Demonstration of Best Practices in Middle School Literacy
The first CoP session will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017, 5-7 p.m. at OSSE, Fifth Floor, Room 5022. During this session participants will collectively determine the dates for the remaining four CoP sessions, which will occur once a month through March 2018. Participants are strongly encouraged (but not required) to attend all five CoP sessions and will receive OSSE Professional Learning Units.
For more information or questions, please contact Angela Awonaike at [email protected] or (202) 481-3870.