How to Use Youth Voice: Youth voice can be a powerful agent of systems change. When empowered and heard, the voices of youth can effectively be used to change social issues. Furthermore, youth voice is an invaluable and necessary tool to address systems that directly impact youth.
10 Workshops: This ten-part workshop series will be held monthly, focusing on a different topic each month that is relevant to school culture and climate. Each workshop will teach participants how to effectively use youth voice to address the topic at hand.
Listening In: A portion of each workshop includes a listening session where participants will listen to youth from all across the District of Columbia, who will speak to the topic at hand.
Outcomes: By the end of each workshop, participants should be able to understand the steps and resources needed to effectively engage youth voice, and will brainstorm with other workshop participants on how they can utilize youth voice to help address the topic in their own school or community.
Participants can choose to register for any (or all) of the following monthly sessions. The location for each session will be added to EventBrite as the date gets closer.
- Session 1: How to Use Youth Voice to Change School Discipline Policies - Monday, Jan. 27, 2020, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. hosted at Ballou High School
- Session 2: How to Use Youth Voice to Address Bullying in Schools and Communities - Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2020, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Session 3: How to Use Youth Voice to Address School and Community Safety - Monday, March 9, 2020, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Session 4: How to Use Youth Voice to Promote Restorative Justice Practices - Thursday, April 9, 2020, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Session 5: How to Use Youth Voice to Reduce School Suspensions and Other Exclusionary Discipline Methods - Friday, May 1, 2020, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Session 6: How to Use Youth Voice to Change School Culture and Climate (Date TBD)
- Session 7: How to Use Youth Voice to Practice Whole-School Accountability (Date TBD)
- Session 8: How to Use Youth Voice to Teach Social Justice in Schools (Date TBD)
- Session 9: How to Use Youth Voice to Create Inclusive School and Community Environments (Date TBD)
- Session 10: How to Use Youth Voice to Strengthen Family Engagement in Schools and Communities (Date TBD)
For questions, please contact Jessica Dulay at [email protected].