OSSE’s Division of Elementary, Secondary, and Specialized Education (ESSE) is launching a Middle School Literacy Community of Practice (CoP) in the spring of 2017 for classroom teachers. The CoP will offer five sessions, beginning April 2017 through July 2017, where participants will learn evidence-based literacy practices for middle school students. Participants will experience strategies first hand and receive resources to take back to their schools for immediate implementation. All CoP meetings will be held on-site at OSSE, unless otherwise stated. Topics of discussion will include:
- Application of Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Integration of assessments and literacy
- Implementation of comprehension strategies specific to middle school students
- Engagement with age appropriate complex and rich text
- Demonstration of evidence-based practices in middle school literacy
The first session will be held on Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:30-6 p.m. at OSSE, 810 First St. NE, Third Floor, Grand Hall. This CoP is open to participants from all District of Columbia schools.
For more information or questions, please contact Celina Ketelsen at [email protected] or (202) 727-1675.